High Tide Aquatics

Zoas closed up?

I've had this same cluster of Zoas and they were doing great, growing more heads etc. Now all of a sudden half of them haven't opened in 4 days. The rest of the tank seems fine but not sure if I should take them out ad dip them in reef dip or something?

Inspected them don't see anything on them, moved them to get more light and a bit more flow hopefully to encourage them to open?

Ideas?

Have you checked water quality?

I was having problems with closed zoas, then someone told me if I had a closed canopy, that could be the problem. I opened the canopy and my zoas have opened too. :)

Glass lids on the tank? But they were fine all winter?

I'll give it a shot and open it, not really sure what difference that could make though?

done, have an egg crate top now.

Still not sure what that should do? The only thing I could think of is it would help gas exchange and increased light penatration, maybe less heat buildup. But no increase in temp has been happening. It will increase my evaporation rate alot though.

hm, maybe taking the lid of promotes better gas exchange; this is turn would in theory allow for better oxygenation of the water (and co2 removal) helping to bump up the pH a little, or keep it a little more stable?

checked the ph, temp, and salt levels, all slightly high, not much but I lowered them.

Temp was 79 (dropped one click to get back to 78)
PH was 8.4-8.5 (did a 6-7 gallon water change - 40 gallon tank) now 8.4
Salt was 1.025 (got this down to 1.024)

then with the top, and added a few trace elements know guess lets see what happens. ?

Yes, I believe you are both right. Increased oxygenation and a more stable Ph might be the key. On one of the other threads, I believe an air pump was suggested to help Zoas open. Again, it has to do with gas exchange and Ph stability I believe.

On one of my tanks, just opening the lid a few inches was enough to help the zoas open up. :)

Did you check alkalinity? Whenever my corals look stressed, I always check this first. It seems that alkalinity goes out of whack fastest.

FYI, I have heard/read that Zoas will close at 1.028. Your salinity should be fine, as well as your temp.

All you can do is wait. There should be improvement in a couple days, assuming that this is the problem. :)

Back