Neptune Aquatics

Zooxanthellae Motility and lighting

While I was researching lighting I came upon a scientific study that looked at the motility of algae in a coral. I had my lights at blue for 3 hours, then whites on also for 6 hours, with another 2 hours of blue only. And after reading the data, I changed to 30 minutes blue, whites on also for another 5 1/2 hours, then just blue for another hour and a half. According to the my interpretation of the research, I had my blues on too long before whites and I was missing giving them enough light as the motility was peaking.
Cheers! Mark

fullsizeoutput_e.jpeg

Hey Liz, I am not a scientist but wouldn't you want your lighting to coincide with motility? but as I understand, once zooxanthelle live in a host, they are non-motile. it is only when they are in a water column that they are motile HELP!!! I am so confused o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Whose research is that from? Hopefully not something from Dana, that's outdated and only looked at a very narrow genus, i.e. Pocillopora sp.

Whose research is that from? Hopefully not something from Dana, that's outdated and only looked at a very narrow genus, i.e. Pocillopora sp.
That was so many mouse clicks ago I wouldn't even know where to find it. I was trying to figure out a good light schedule and my take-away was that I am going to run my lights with more intensity earlier and for a shorter time.

Back