Reef nutrition

Zuma's 50G

Zumareef

Supporting Member
Well figured its about time to start a journal for my most recent reef. Tank started out as a waterbox 50.3 AIO, I really like the dimensions of this tank (36x20x18) and when I saw a used one for sale figured "how hard can it be to remove the AIO sections?" Very difficult!! After much work with many razor blades, a utility knife and an E guitar string I managed to remove all the AIO components and have a nice rimless tank. Next up I mounted a corner overflow with 2 x 1" bulkheads; something about the corner overflow orientation I just like and I didn't want a black background for this reef. Sump was generously provided by @Patio (thanks again!!) and I used the protein skimmer (Eshopps X-120) and return pump (Jebao DCP 4000) that I had on all my previous tanks since 2018, added vortec MP40 for circulation. Lights are 2 Radion XR15 G4 Pro's and there's a 8 gallon reservoir next to the sump that I built out of acrylic topping off evaporation with a Smart Micro ATO; that's about it for the gear. Coral is a mix of SPS and mostly LPS, some that I've had since 2018; fish include 1 leopard wrasse that's 4 years old, a small blue tang, tail spot blenny and the usually CUC.

Really enjoying this tank thus far (started in December of 2022) and looking forward to watching things fill in and adding a few more interesting inhabitants.

Enjoy!

Mid-AIO removal process Bulkheads and corner overflow in
aio.jpg
overflow.jpg

Sump, skimmer, etc. Lights
sump.jpg
IMG_5092.jpeg

Reef!
IMG_5231.jpg

Left side right side
IMG_5232.jpg
IMG_5233.jpg

couple close ups..
cyp.jpg
zoa.jpg

Last edited:
Things are chugging along, everything seems to have settled in and sps are starting to color up. Acquired a trio of fire fish about three weeks ago and really dig the way they hangout together also have been greedily consuming frozen mysid and pellet's. Other then that KH seems to stubbornly stay between 9-9.5 and I'd like it to run about a point lower but everything is doing well so as the saying goes "if ain't broke don't fi it."

Cheers
fts 03.2023.jpg

firefish.jpg

Nice job with the tank conversion! How are you maintaining Ca and Alk? Also any pics of that chalice on the right rock?

Thanks! I’m happy with the conversion too, looks a bit like a Elos which is what I was going for and I like the 20” depth with no black background. The orange-red coral next to the zoas are actually a big colony of tequila sunrise mushrooms.

Thanks! I’m happy with the conversion too, looks a bit like a Elos which is what I was going for and I like the 20” depth with no black background. The orange-red coral next to the zoas are actually a big colony of tequila sunrise mushrooms.
Actually talking about the one above the purple/green favia, is that a chalice?

Dream tank bro! Fish/coral colors pop and complement each other. The empty spaces also draw your eyes towards the next eye grabbing piece whether it’s corals or fish. Awesome setup and DIY story getting there.

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words and indeed i really tried to focus on having negative space in this aquascape; feels more like something I have observed while snorkeling in the tropics; like a patch reef.

Back