Our mission

Devastation...RIP Six-line wrasse

Have had this guy for quite some time now but I came home from work today to find him dried up on the floor. He jumped at some point during the day today. :(

Guess I'll have to get another one or another cool wrasse.

dude, I'm so sorry that happened. I can empathize -my six line wrasse (and my favorite fish at the time) wen carpet surfing out of my old 40g :(

See the way this story mostly goes for people, is something along the lines of ".... then I saw him swimming alone in the tank with all the dead bodies of the fish he killed floating around, then I tore the whole tank down and killed the summabitch!! "

:D

A_Lee said:
dude, I'm so sorry that happened. I can empathize -my six line wrasse (and my favorite fish at the time) wen carpet surfing out of my old 40g :(
exactly the same. 6 line..favorite fish at the time...carpet (ok, laminate flooring) surfing...40g ..same name. freaky!

Gomer said:
exactly the same. 6 line..favorite fish at the time...carpet (ok, laminate flooring) surfing...40g ..same name. freaky!

Not freaky, just a small world Tony :D
Plus, if we want to be technical, my six line didn't go carpet surfing either -it went ... hardwood surfing ... ? 8)

sfsuphysics said:
See the way this story mostly goes for people, is something along the lines of ".... then I saw him swimming alone in the tank with all the dead bodies of the fish he killed floating around, then I tore the whole tank down and killed the summabitch!! "

We treat fishies ethically, don't we Mike.... LOL :D

Sorry to hear about the jumper.

A year ago I had a blue spot jawfish who got beat to the brink of death by my spanish hogfish. He was laying on his side at the bottom of the tank and I was going to throw him out, but Bonnie convinced me to give him one more night. I put him in a little cage in the tank and amazingly he survived. I nursed him back to 100% health over the course of 2 months, feeding him by hand. (The hogfish would still cruise by regularly and eye him...)

Caught the hogfish, and released the jawfish back into the aquarium. The next morning he was dried up on the floor.

Worse... the hogfish that I had moved to my work tank jumped two weeks later.

I'm convinced there is something poetic about the whole incident, but I fail to appreciate it. :p

My Story: He seemed so happy till he was found on the floor the next morning. Cause of death "Suicide" :tired:

I placed a screen over the open area on the back of the canopy to still provide ventilation while keeping the jumpers from being successful.

Sorry to hear about you Sixline Durwin. I'm you had a positive experience with yours. Mines start out cool.. but ended up being the evil little fish in my tank. I couldnt wait for the guy to jump out. He pretty much killed all the wrasses i placed into the tank. He got so aggressive that he will chase any wrasse in my tank. So, one day i placed a trap with a mirror inside of it. The next day, i found him swimming around with his mouth bashed in. A few days later he died. .

Lyn said:
sfsuphysics said:

We treat fishies ethically, don't we Mike.... LOL :D

Sure do, we pull them out of the ocean and stick them into little glass boxes :D

I was just making fun of the 6lines since quite a few people mention how they're unholy terrors.... personally the 6 line I had was a model citizen.

Thanks for all the words guys. Unfortunately, he was one of the most peaceful fish that I've had in my tank. He never picked on any of the other fish and really kept the pod population in check. Before I got him, there were pods running around everywhere and I swear some of the larger ones decimated a couple palys that I had. He was a really cool fish and he definitely wasn't starving given the size of the bulge around his stomach area! Anyway, guess I'll be in the market for another type of wrasse whether it be another six-line or maybe something more colorful like a flasher or fairy wrasse.

Yeah, my six line was an angel, and never did anyone any harm! I got a coris wrasse, but that one jumped out of my tank too. I've just given up on keeping wrasses in my open top tank, haha.

I had a yellow wrasse trying to evolve into a land creature overnight and it was sad, it also was a hitch-hiker on a piece of rock I bought.
On the six line issue, it is a sweet little guy (has to be a male due to the following fact)
I got a pair of onyx clowns, breeding ones; the six line harassed the male clown a lot; the time I was present was able to control it by six line sitting but had to go to work and when I came back home no male clown (the six line likes big girls no doubt), I was expecting to see the little guy emerging from behind the rocks with a black eye, fin cast, even a swim chair miraculously for a few days but nothing... so there's a widow :(
My brother has plexi tank covers with holes about an inch diameter and some how the fire-fish find the way trough the same hole.
I'll patiently wait to get another clown, till the 37G cube-ish tank is ready.

the wrasses I've had have all jumped, luckily my tank is enclosed, but I've had them jump into the overflow, recently my melanarus wrasse jumped into the overlfow by fitting in a little gap between my custom guard and back canopy wall. Since the 6-line I have terrorizes the melanarus, I'm thinking of getting rid of the 6-line so i can take the melanarus out of the sump. I guess my point is if you want a replacement 6-line let me know, but without an enclosure he'll probably carpet surf to. I got him originally from zambavi who got him through someone else, so he's had a lot of owners.

I had a pair of clowns in QT for three months, mostly to get them paired up. Well after many attempts in removing the divide, only to have one beat the living crap out of the other they finally got a long and started swimming in tandem. They we best buds for a week and I decided that was the day I was going to transfer them to the main tank. Left the house for 45mins to run to the fish store, came back to a dead clown on the floor....worst part was the QT was 90% covered, the little bugger found the 1" slot to escape...broke my heart :(

Sorry about your loss Durwin. The 6 line is one of my all time favorite fish. Great coloration, cool swimmers, and highly affordable! Is there a possibility that another fish in your tank was chasing the 6 line causing it to jump? I was lucky enough to have wrasses in the past that never jumped on me. I recently picked up an adorned wrasse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but so far so good.

Thanks for the offer CookieJar! I might take you up on it although it sounds like your six-line is a little aggressive! I'll let you know. I might end up getting a different kind of wrasse for some variety in my tank.

Sorry for your loss Montana...amazing that the clown was able to find that one single small opening.

Jimmy, I loved my six-line too for all the reasons you stated. I honestly have no idea what caused him to jump. The other two clowns just hang out amongst the palys and zoos I have at the bottom of the tank. They're never aggressive to anything but my hand when I reach in the tank. The only other fish in there is the yellow watchman goby who usually hides in his cave except when he's hungry. But he's usually the timid one when it comes to the six-line. He would always back up whenever the six-line swam close to him. My fingers are crossed for you too! Those adorned wrasses look cool.

Back