Neptune Aquatics

11lb beef top sirloin

Got one sitting in my fridge, bought it on a whim. Ideas what to do with it (ie how to cook it....not throwing it at someone etc) ;) I'd be more willing to cut it into a few pieces and cook it a few different ways rather than doing the whole thing as one roast etc. C'mon...let's see those recipes!

Cut some into individual steaks. I do that when I buy roast size slabs of meat. You can also cut some thinly to make teriyaki beef. Save some for stir fry too YUM! :)

Rub it with coarse sea salt and place it on a wire rack in your fridge overnight, that will allow it to get a nice crust when cooked, you're drying out the surface.

Sear the outside on a hot BBQ, then into a 425º oven until the internal temperature in the middle is 125º, tent with foil and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, slice and serve with horseradish (saving the crispy ends for yourself ;) )

Or you can go backwards like an old head chef I worked for a while back, cook in the oven until the internal temp is around 110º then onto the BBQ, that way is sure fire, but the crust isn't as thick (I love the crispy salty beef crust if you haven't noticed).

Dang that sounds good....should I even try lighting up the grill in the rain? (propane unfortunately).

2 questions though....
1 do I really want to rub on a thick crust of salt, or just a little bit
2 can I do it with a smaller piece of meat (after steaks are cut off and some extra shaved off for teri/stir fry/wrapping around asparagus

Good questions Mitch!

1 Nope, not at all use your gut instinct on the salt, you want enough to dry out the surface, but not so much that it is too salty, think of a soft pretzel. Hence the coarse salt, it tends to "melt" slowly and draw the moisture out without being overly salty (yes the crust is salty)

2. if you do trim down the meat, which isn't a bad idea, try and do it length wise instead of cross wise, that way you get more surface area and it will cook very even. If the meat is thick and short, by the time the interior is finished the outside is overcooked.

If you don't want to use your grill, with the smaller piece of meat you should be able to sear it on a griddle or large cast iron/clad pan, make sure to disable your smoke alarms temporarily, you want to get a good sear on it :)

I've got about a 5lb roast type chunk set aside for this. The rest got cut up for steaks, stews, curries and stirfry's and some sukiyaki. I'll post up pics after I do your thing Jer.

Sukiyaki... mmmmm mmmm goood, especially in this weather.

I hate this forum sometimes. It makes my not only want to do a new tank, it also makes me HUNGRY!!

for next time you could do the following

Cut the meat in long pieces like about 10 inches in lenght and like 2 inches thick.
marinated over night with 2 big yellow onions sliced, 2 green bell peppers sliced, garlic, salt, 1/4 cup worcestirshire sauce, 2 big tomatoes sliced, 1/4 cup sour orange juice and 4 tablespoons of italian dressing.

the cooking day get a deep pot like one for soup (8 qt) get some platains leaf (mexican stores sell them) and use them to line the pot them place the meeat with all the spices that were used to marinate it and fold the top of the platain leaf to cover the meat.
Then add a quart of water to it and cooked at medium heat for like about 3-4 hrs. (I know it is a long time but it is worth) cover the pot with a lid. basically the meat will cook because of the steam. and it will get very tender.

cook some white rice.

make a home made salsa (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeno pepper, salt, and vinager) to go ver the meat and the rice and enjoy it.

Back