High Tide Aquatics

Identification of yellow growth on rocks

anathema said:
Scutus eat those too, or at least mine did. I had a bunch in my tank, picked up a scutus and they were gone within a week.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc unless you saw it eating them with your own eyes! Many things can take sponges out quickly and most are not by predation :D

Many fissurellids are sponge feeders, but the general consensus is that Scutus is an algal grazer.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/scutus

I watched mine graze specifically on those yellow things. I called them tunicates back then and I thought they were really cool. I was bummed out at the time because he wiped them out quickly. QED. :D

Fwiw I only ever saw him out at night.

Hardly QED, sorry.

The fact you thought they were tunicates doesn't instill any confidence you saw a scutus suck up a sponge into it's proboscis and not simply plowing over the sponge. Still a case of Post hoc ergo propter hoc :p

Lol. You win. Feel awesome yet? I know what I saw but I don't think we are getting anywhere. Might as well stop before you copy Rich's bullying style completely.

I guess the best thing here is for screebo to loan his hitchiker scutus out and see if it eats them. I bet it will, then you can observe it yourself.

Great rebuttal, im now convinced :lol: the great gusty has blown again.

Hmm, actually in reviewing the pic it looks slightly different than what my scutus ate, but it's hard to tell from that pic exactly. I'll dredge up a pic of what my scutus ate.

Here is a pic of the type of growth mine ate: (not my pic, from google images)
DSCN0272.jpg

As far as a rebuttal to your nonsense? I didn't really see a point considering you haven't made one yet. You just did the same thing Rich tried to do in the thread about his "awesome story zomg." Throwing credentials into an argument, quoting dead languages to make yourself look smart, and misusing logic in nonsensical statements that misquote the other side of the discussion isn't really debate.

So far you've claimed:
GreshamH is capable of quoting a dead language, so this animal cannot possibly eat sponges. = False.
GreshamH can find a non scientific random quote on the internet claiming that scientists guess (sans research) this eats algae, so this animal cannot possibly eat sponges. = False.
Anathema doesn't know the difference between a sponge and a tunicate so this animal cannot possibly have been eating the unidentified matter it was observed eating. =False.
GreshamH knows a scientist, so he doesn't have to do any experiments or follow scientific method, his claims should be valid because his proximity to science makes him smart. =False.

I haven't blown anything, I just require more than bullying to convince me that something I observed is wrong. None of your "arguments" are proof, yet you are acting like they are. You are trying to build an argument out of your credentials and not much else, and when you find yourself in that position the best thing to do is concede that it's something you don't have the answers to. I find it funny that you think you do, but I remain unconvinced that the animal I watched eat the neon yellow growth from my live rock didn't actually do so.

I freely admit that I could be mistaken, but starting an internet shoving match with no real proof involved won't do anything to convince me of that. Feel free to have fun trying though.

I have a similar issue growing on some rocks but i think the one's that i have are vermitid snails, so vacuuming them is my only option. I want to bring our focus back to this this subject i know there are great commentators and contributors in this forum and I need some suggestions how to control this vermitid snails in my tank.

Thanks

siokoy said:
I have a similar issue growing on some rocks but i think the one's that i have are vermitid snails, so vacuuming them is my only option. I want to bring our focus back to this this subject i know there are great commentators and contributors in this forum and I need some suggestions how to control this vermitid snails in my tank.

Thanks

Needle Nose Pliers

-Gregory

At first pulled them out with needle nose pliers, but their spongy so some parts were scattered in the area. Removing them with fingers is more efficient, but vacuuming them takes the top spot. I am looking for a fish or something that will munch on them.

Vermitid snails aren't spongy. Sponges are spongy though. Any tool can remove them, pliers, those picks that you use to get walnuts out of their shells, finger nails. Sponges and vermitid snails aren't bad in general (unless the vermtid snails send their webs on coral and the corals get agitated by it and don't open up).

Nope not spongy...hard and crunchy. In general not a bad thing unles like stated before the webs stop PE or, as an issue with my candy cane right now, they grow around the opening of the polyp and push it back down.

Do you have a pic of the "spongy" critters in your tank?

-Gregory

Back