Reef nutrition

lattehiatus's 33.6g Clownfish Growout and Anemone Tank

lattehiatus

Past President
Welcome to my first tank journal! While the setup is not as fancy as most of what you guys have, I spent some time planning this one out before finally setting it up.

The tank is a 33.6g Mr. Aqua rimless, measuring 24.8 x 17.7 x 17.7 inches. It was originally used for a freshwater planted setup that had to be relocated into another tank before I could begin drilling.

Overflow is a Glass-Holes 700gph kit, with two 3/4" returns that will provide all the circulation in the tank.
IMG_2367Medium.jpg

Touch n' Foam Landscape foam used to create a backdrop on two sides, directly onto the glass (no eggcrate or rocks were used). I went through 5 cans of the stuff. At one point the structure began to collapse and my gloves stuck to the foam when I tried to prop it up, so I used my bare hands. It took about 10 days before my hands were no longer waterproof. Black sand was pressed into the foam while it was drying.
IMG_2374Medium.jpg

The sump is a 20 gallon high tank, with acrylic partitions. Return pump is a Panworld 50PXX rated for 1100gph. I figured that after accounting for head and plumbing off the return to power a sulfur denitrator and GFO reactor, it would be just about right and leave some room just in case. The first chamber houses a SWC 160 skimmer - perhaps overkill, but juvenile clowns eat like little piglets. I estimate the sump holds about 12.5 gallons bringing the total water volume to 46 gallons.
IMG_2379Medium.jpg

Considering that I hadn't plumbed anything in a decade, I was surprised that there were no leaks.
IMG_2380Medium.jpg

IMG_2376Medium.jpg

Added 184 ocellaris clownfish. They were getting cramped in their old homes. Lighting is a 12-LED PAR38 bulb sold by RapidLED, drawing 19W. I originally wanted to move my Kessil A150W over to this tank, but it is still lighting the frag tank. If it turns out that it's insufficient light for anemones I'll need to make some changes.
IMG_2381Medium.jpg

Currently I still need to plumb in the Midwest Aquatics sulfur denitrator, I stupidly snapped a couple of the plumbing connections by walking into it while it was on the floor and had to use some adhesives to patch it up. After a week of operation nitrates are already hovering at 40ppm, and that includes 3 days of not feeding during vacation.

The SWC 160 skimmer is producing a ton of microbubbles that are escaping into the DT. I neglected to consider that the flow rate through the sump (which provides all the circulation in the DT) would be a problem. So much for the grand plans.

Also still need to set up the ATO. So far that isn't an issue since I am raising the salinity from 27ppt to 35ppt by topping off with saltwater. I have a TLF Kalkreactor that I might use in conjunction with the ATO to maintain alkalinity.

lattehiatus said:
At one point the structure began to collapse (mad) and my gloves stuck to the foam when I tried to prop it up (madder), so I used my bare hands (maddest). It took about 10 days before my hands were no longer waterproof.

Wow, great concept. Looks sweet!
Forget the shoal / school argument : I think that is a "horde" ;)

Slight concern : The returns seem well under the water line. Just a worry about siphon issues
when you turn the main pump off.

After fixing the broken fittings on the Midwest Aquatics sulfur denitrator, turned on the pump for the first time only to find that the magnet inside is broken. Serves me right for not testing a secondhand product first. Before I go purchase a new pump, anyone have a Eheim 1048 lying around that that I could buy?

houser said:
lattehiatus said:
At one point the structure began to collapse (mad) and my gloves stuck to the foam when I tried to prop it up (madder), so I used my bare hands (maddest). It took about 10 days before my hands were no longer waterproof.
Lesson learned, this stuff isn't play-doh. ;)

Kensington Reefer said:
You've been very busy there David! Looks great! And where did the freshwater stuff go?
The freshwater planted setup was transferred into a 26 gallon bowfront. Saying goodbye to the tetras that produced offspring and the Siamese algae eater that used to be small enough to school with the tetras just wasn't an option, and needed to re-scape anyhow.

Kensington Reefer said:
I might have to come invade your space to see for myself. With your permission, of course.
Absolutely!

Kensington Reefer said:
How many have names?
[youtube]Qm2nFjgm6Ac[/youtube]

sfboarders said:
I don't see any corals in the tank but all I can say is AWESOME! Nice tank David! :)
Corals and nems be darned, I am still adjusting salinity upward just so I can get a clean up crew in there! :D It's been almost two weeks of topping off with saltwater and salinity has only crept up to 31ppt from 27ppt. I need to get a fan in there to speed up evap. ;)

bondolo said:
It's awesome to see a school like that. Are you sure it's 184? Looks like no more than 179 to me.
glee said:
is it really one hundred eighty four clownfish in that tank? cool concept and nice job on the plumbing
I missed the boat to have a little fun with a guessing game on the number of clowns in there. :( The winner could have been offered (what else) a clownfish. :p
This photo is taken after they became a little more comfortable with they tank, but they are not very cooperative with sitting still for the phone camera:
2012-08-16.jpg

rygh said:
Wow, great concept. Looks sweet!
Forget the shoal / school argument : I think that is a "horde" ;)

Slight concern : The returns seem well under the water line. Just a worry about siphon issues
when you turn the main pump off.
I'm raising an unholy army! The plan is to strap lasers onto their backs. :D
Appreciate the concern on the return. The center of the bulkheads are 2" from the top of the tank. I drilled siphon holes onto the top of the plumbing pieces, and tested with the main pump off to make sure the backflow doesn't end up on the floor.

David,

What a cool picture! Are all these from one clutch (is that the correct term??) of eggs? I'm REALLY impressed with your skills. When are you quitting your day job to become ORA west? :)

They are a combination of four different clutches. Survival rates past 60 dph has varied from 43 to 202 juvies, largely dependent on hatchout rate - I am still learning my way. There are definitely breeders who are better at this than me, and I couldn't have progressed rapidly without their help!

As usual John I am going to turn the question around on you - when are you going to be cornering the global supply of captive bred angelfish? ;)

Back