Our mission

Overnight deaths to acans & blastos & chalice

I'm puzzled as to what's causing occasional mystery deaths to some of my LPS. What happens is that one of my LPS; acan, blasto or even chalice, will be doing fine and overnight 1 head is completely wiped out- like it's been picked clean to the bone. I attached a picture of a blasto that lost 1 head last night. This also happened to one of my chalice that was about 3" diameter a few nights ago where the middle was picked clean.
I thought maybe one of the large predator worms that comes out at night could be the cause but my system has only had water for 10 months, I never added live rock and every coral added has been dipped. I wouldn't think a predator worm could have got into my tank and even if one did, could it be that destructive so soon? I have had low alk issues, but I didn't think that would wipe out only 1 head at a time and so quickly. Maybe there's another cause of this- does anyone have any ideas as to potential causes or does it sound like the predator worm?

If you saw no brown jelly the next day, or remnants of coral flesh, I would assume something ate it off clean. Worms can live through quite the dipping.

BAYMAC said:
gimmito said:
I've been having the same problem with some duncans and dendros also.

Both those are known to drop polyps in aquaria, seen any around under rocks?

They don't look like they are just dropping polyps...there's a empty skeleton left behind (like the pic Bill showed)...really a bummer.

that's exactly what happens when it drops a polyp though... the skeleton is left behind fully intact as if something ate it. The actual coralite structure is left behind.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/10/m010p057.pdf

BAYMAC said:
that's exactly what happens when it drops a polyp though... the skeleton is left behind fully intact as if something ate it. The actual coralite structure is left behind.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/10/m010p057.pdf
I just learned something new. I had never heard that before

Unless it is polyp dropping then I agree that it might be some kind of predation.

I learned a new worm capture technique the other day. Drill a 3mm (1/8" for Luddites) hole into opaque plastic easter egg. Put a chunk of food and a couple of small rocks for weight into the easter egg and submerge into a corner of the tank. Check it every morning for bristle worms.

On bristle worms, I got a good number of these around. It was causing me all sorts of grief. I'm staring to lose some of it. I don't see them doing any harm whatsoever. So, I'm starting to lean towards agreeing with the camp that says these guys are mostly beneficial. Only time will tell...

Back