Jestersix

NextReef SMR1 for GFO?

Nav

I'm planning to get a used NextReef SMR1 media reactor to run GFO in my new system.

All sites say SOLID media, and I'm not sure if GFO is one of it (will it be ok?)

Also it comes with a QuietOne 1200 pump...

My concern would be the size of the media.
It looks like it is designed primarily for larger biopellets, not small GFO grains.
Also a bit expensive for simple GFO. BRS has a good GFO reactor for $62, including pump.

I run the MR1 "monster" on my tank. I use carbon in one side and GFO on the other. I believe the mr1 series is more appropriate for gfo, and you have more sizing options. Nextreef is a good brand, but if I did it again, I would go with BRS. The reactors are such a simple design, you gain nothing by paying more...other than looks. Of course looks might be important to you as well, so look into the mr1. The smr1 can be used with gfo if you purchase the sponges for it. Way overkill IMO.

Reactions: Nav
You can buy the BRS brand used for ~$30 or less from people selling them on RC. For my ~70 gallon setup, I rarely need to change out a cup or so's worth of GFO once every month or so. Sometimes it goes for longer. That amount of GFO barely even fills half of the reactor.

Yea I see BRS has some very good reviews and good price too.

I can do both GFO and Carbon in one system that's $62 with the pump :)

If anyone here selling the BRS unit pls PM me, else I'll order a new one...

Use your main return pump to power the reactor as well. Easy to do. Only takes a few PVC pieces. I can show you or help you. Saves some money on pump up front, and less noise and power usage forever!

Use your main return pump to power the reactor as well. Easy to do. Only takes a few PVC pieces. I can show you or help you. Saves some money on pump up front, and less noise and power usage forever!
The return pump is going to be too high GPH for the reactor?

Also won't passing through return cut down the pressure? My check valve is already cutting down some of it :(

you can control the GPH by using a ball valve :) you should have a return relief valve piped in anyway to relieve pressure on the return pump. this can serve as it :)

I like the design and sleekness that the nextreef reactors offer. Also, replacing the media is very simple vs. The brs reactors. Brs reactor requires a special wrench to open the reactor...additionally they are very bulky. Seaside aquatics also makes a nice reactor as well. I don't run carbon in a reactor just in a media bag...it doesn't need to be as fluidized as the gfo does.

+1 on ball valve from return...but personally I like running independent pumps.

Back