got ethical husbandry?

Changing your T5's?

My bulbs just hit a year old and I thought I read somewhere that's when they should be changed but thought I'd ask the question. I haven't noticed any color changes..... there may be a little less purple now but I'm not sure.

Question 1) how often do you change your T5's?

Question 2) What brand bulbs do you buy? (I'd imagine they aren't all created equal right?)

Question 3) I have a 4 bulb set up with 2 10k's and 2 460nm but I was thinking about changing to actinics up but don't have a lot to go on so what type would you suggest?

1: ever couple years or so :D

2: I have geismann now, but I'm looking to ATi next their blue plus bulb is incredibly powerful

3: I would suggest not doing actinics if you're simply doing a 4 bulb setup, they suck for light energy output, blue bulbs give you the color pop as well so go that route.

1. Have not changed my bulbs yet (just over one year old)
2. I like ATI bulbs (Blue+ is a requirement, AquaBlue/Sun are also great) UVL SuperActinic is unparalleled
3. Mike is right, 4 lights don't work well with actinics. A FijiPurple and a Blue+ are good substitutes. I found it hard to get the color I wanted from 4 bulbs so I added a VHO Actinic. I was running:
F->B
ATI Blue+
Geissmann AquaBlue
VHO UVL SuperActinic
UVL 10K
ATI Blue+
I had a nice 12K-14K look with good actinic pop, but a little lacking on red spectrum.

Thanks guys. When I said actinics I meant blue or purple bulbs. I didn't realize there was a difference.... I have so much to learn :)

The majority of light loss is within the first 5-6 months.. After that, output stabilizes and decreases at a slower rate... For t5's they will slowly drop off until they die.. Pc's are the same way... Look at some of the planted tank studies on t5ho bulbs.. They might be slightly different spectrum from what we use but very similar in performance...

Does anyone remember who came and gave the talk about lighting? It was quite a few years ago and I can't remember the gentlemans name? I want to say he was German.. Maybe Ian or Eric remembers....

Gomer or Norm, come on now I know one of you guys have a chart showing T5 bulb life? I have some people telling me a couple years and others saying less than one year, where are the geek stats when I need them? :D lol

okay, I'm going to replace the bulbs on my 4x39watt system

This is going to be the primary and only lighting source for a LPS tank.

the tank is 36x15x16, so it max depth is 16".

The fixture sits sits 1/2" off the top of the tank.

so here is what I'm thinking...

F-->B
ATI Blue +
UV 10k AquaSun
GE 6500k
ATI Blue+

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

for me, i change the bulbs every 8-9 months.
i mainly buy just ATI bulbs.

i think i would do

Blue+
UV Aquasun
UVL superactinic
blue+

it was pretty nice when i had a 4bulb set up

The 24in 4 bulber,
1) Once a year (I'm poor). I did see an incease in algae at about 8 months.
2) Giessman
3) Next time I will try without actinics but fo rnow it looks good.

I'm at a year on mine and I am seeing a little bit more algae but I also starting dosing phyto more regularly so that could be it to, hard to say for sure.

Back