Kessil

Questions about finding a new partner for a clown

So for those who aren't aware, i recently had a tank crash which killed all my livestock except for one clown. Unfortunately, this clown's partner died. I am definitely going to try to pair it up with a new clown, but before I do, I have a few questions:

1. When do clowns change sex? The clown that I have left is about a year old and approx 1.5 inches big. It was slightly bigger and a bit more dominant than the clown that died. Is there a way of telling if my lone clown has already turned female or is it still way too young?

2. Should the clown that i introduce to my tank be smaller, same size, or bigger than my current clown?

3. Is it pretty easy to pair two clowns or should I expect some resistance? Is there a procedure to introducing two clowns to each other or do i just put the new clown in and let nature take its course?

Thanks in advance!

YOu should put one in that's more than a "slight bit" smaller. They'll just sort it out and start the process. As to expecting some resistance -- yes, but how much depends on the type of clown as well. I cannot pair my female maroon at all. Remember though -- you don't have to pair them. If it isn't working a single clown does just fine in a tank. Think of them as old cat ladies living alone just without the cats.

Last edited:
I’ve read that mature male clowns can turn into females within 30 days of being alone, but I’m not sure how exact that is. I would go with a smaller one, because once clownfish mature to the next “stage” they don’t go back, so you definitely don’t want 2 females. Immature male<mature male<mature female

Back