Neptune Aquatics

Miracle mud

Well i have my tank up and running and have a huge refugium in my sump (thanks to ED) Wondering if anyone has had any experience with miracle mud? I saw it being used in tanks and Max's place but was a bit puzzled when i saw that copper was one of the ingredients. Any takes on this? ???

i have a product similar to this in my fuge, aptly titled refugium mud. my chaeto has been growing better. not great, but i account that for lack of high flowing water. i put a good 3 inch base and then covered that with another 3/4-1" of crushed aragonite, just like the product says. it states that it should reach anaerobic conditions and such. i just did it, exact benefits unknown, i just know it didnt hurt it. copper is found in NSW, but mind you TRACE amounts (ppb). www.thomasnet.com/pdf.php?prid=10042 (ive decided to source everything i post....lesson learned) so minute amounts of copper seem to be more aimed at achieving ocean water balance. i doubt it would be enough to harm your corals or inverts.

I've also tried a similar product, Fiji Mud. If you are gonna use a mud, one word of advice: add it very slowly.

Why? Placed it in my Biocube's rear chamber to baffle the water flow and create a greater area for anaerobic growth. It ended up completely clouding the entire aquarium for ~2 days. Once I was able to see everything in my aquarium again, I noticed my Flameback Angel went missing - haven't found her since...booh.

On a brighter note, I have seen more polyp extension from my spider sponge and gorgorian. Could be the little critters that the label claims to carry in the mud.

I filled a media bag with the mud and a mangrove attached. Figured if I wanted to remove the mud this would be the easiest way. I did notice some cloudiness of the water, so far no ill effects to the livestock. I've never had a refugium so any input or advice would be great.

[quote author=kurplunk link=topic=6667.msg86262#msg86262 date=1236183113]
I filled a media bag with the mud and a mangrove attached. Figured if I wanted to remove the mud this would be the easiest way. I did notice some cloudiness of the water, so far no ill effects to the livestock. I've never had a refugium so any input or advice would be great.
[/quote]

You got pics of the mud and mangrove in the media bag? I'd love to see how that looks.

But as far as refugium's are concerned, I love 'em - 'specially when you use it as a reverse lighting (or whatever they call it now-a-days) device. IME, I've seen a lot less nuisance algae blooms in the display tank ever since installing one to my tank.

I'm assuming you have chaeto and a light source for it in the 'fuge. But besides that and the mud, I can't think of anything else to spice up your new equipment.

I've used miracle mud a few times before and i've not experienced any negative impact.... My refugiums have always done really well and it is fair to say that the Miracle Mud helped that along.

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6667.msg85992#msg85992 date=1236098345]
i have a product similar to this in my fuge, aptly titled refugium mud. my chaeto has been growing better. not great, but i account that for lack of high flowing water. i put a good 3 inch base and then covered that with another 3/4-1" of crushed aragonite, just like the product says. it states that it should reach anaerobic conditions and such. i just did it, exact benefits unknown, i just know it didnt hurt it. copper is found in NSW, but mind you TRACE amounts (ppb). www.thomasnet.com/pdf.php?prid=10042 (ive decided to source everything i post....lesson learned) so minute amounts of copper seem to be more aimed at achieving ocean water balance. i doubt it would be enough to harm your corals or inverts.
[/quote]

Hey man... i couldn't get your link to work but here is a table for approximate levels...

http://ozreef.org/library/tables/natural_sea_water_composition.html

that works too. i had no flow in my fuge when i added the mud. so there was no water in the fuge. i then added a nice layer of sand on top, slowly added water. then added flow. no cloudiness

Well so far the mud, some chaeto, mangrove and a few pieces of rock are all that sits inside the fuge. I want to get a 24" t5 setup to use as lighting. The fuge part of my sump is so big i can't hold back the temptation to throw a frag rack in and use it for frags. Does anyone see me having any issues with this?

fuges like low flow and most frags like lots of flow. As far as lighting not a problem. You really dont need t5s though, a good day light will work to grow the cheato and mangrove. Only thing to keep in mind is when you add your cheato it seems like you have tons of room but wait till it grows out and is everywhere then you might change your mind.

Back