Neptune Aquatics

Skimmer problem or clean tank?

I have an Aqua C Remora skimmer on my 30 gallon system (20 gallon display and 10 gallon frag tank) and it doesn't seem to be pulling much stuff out of the water. I also did a routine measurement of all of my parameters and it appears everything is as it should be: Ca=440ppm, Alk=10dKh, Mag=1360, Nitrates and Nitrites=0ppm, and PO4=0. Should your skimmer be constantly pulling stuff out? Or are there times where it won't pull that much gunk out because the tank is actually how it should be? There definitely is buildup of gunk in the tube leading up to the collection cup. But it doesn't seem to bubble as much as it used to and there is hardly any liquid in the collection cup. I find that odd for some reason...

I have a Remora and Urchin units, they seem to do that when the tube in the collection cup gets too much waste, just brush it away and clean the inlet elbow from the spray injector also with a brush

Yes, I'd second (or third) the vote to clean the riser tube in the collection cup. I have the remora nano on my anemone tank, and I find I need to keep from allowing too much sludge and grime to build up in there, or things don't make it up as far.

I'll fourth the the riser, you need to have a slick surface for the bubbles to slide on, that even goes for bacterial slime and little bits of algae on the bell housing of larger skimmers, frequent cleaning can really improve skimmate production.

Then yes its way past its break in period. I have had a remora on one of my tanks now and the riser tube does get clogged but it still manages to get past the gunk. Proper maintenance and cleaning will keep in running longer. Were you using a MJ1200 on it?

try a heavy feeding and see how it reacts....my skimmer would pull the same thing and i would keep thinking my kids must have tinkered with it so i adjust it just a knotch....the next morning i wake up to a overflowing skimmer cup and some pissed off coral

Just gave it a good scrubbing/cleaning and it looks like the bubbles are already making it's way up the riser again!

Hey Derek, yeah, I've got an MJ1200 on it. Damn xenia keep attaching to the intake of the powerhead so I always have to scrape it off!

Bonnie, GO BEARS! I don't know what I'm going to do with myself between now and Labor Day weekend! Such a boring time in sports!

Patrick, I'll do a heavy feeding with phyto, oysterfeast and rotifers tonight to see how it reacts.

Thanks everyone for the great input!

That's a good point Derek. I didn't think about that. Powerheads definitely do die or get weaker with time. I've even noticed that with my Koralias.

Back