Jestersix

A question for Jeremy. Re: Mighty magnets

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Jeremy, I'm guessing you probably use the various products (coraline scraper, algae scrubber, etc) quite a bit more than the rest of us simply due to all the tanks you're servicing. So I'd like to ask how often do you replace these? I ask because my nice coraline scraper has rounded out, and I can't remember off hand how often I used it. As wonderful as it is if I have to replace them every few times I scrape off some coraline I might need to find a different product (even though there's nothing out there like it), or maybe I'll try to put an edge on it again *shrug*

Not J, and not the scrapper...but on the sock, after it wears out for the float use, I can wear it like a glove and it works amazingly well still. Too cheap to order a new sock right now :p It works fairly well on light coraline in this manner.

I doubt the tanks Jeremy services get major coraline build-up since he's paid to keep them clean :) I do know he LOVES the sock.

When I was in service I would get beat down by clients for allowing even diatoms to pop up, let alone coraline :) he may have more forgiving clients though :lol: Several of mine were major investors in the company so it was like an elephant walking on egg shells at all times. The smallest thing was a huge deal to them. Did I mention the priceless Persian rug smack dab in front of the tank??? :(

HA!

One of many reasons I will never want to get into the servicing industry, I can't test the water temp with my finger without dripping a ton of SW onto the floor! (One of the reasons I decided to put ceramic tiles down).

But yeah, I guess if you're aggressive with the algae sock the coraline won't get a chance to pop up, I usually get it right on the edge & near the top where the algae sock is least effective (could explain the coraline growth there too... that makes the seams stronger though right! :D).

With my Kent (red plastic blade) I put at least a dozen new edges on it prior to tossing it. I just use a belt sander :)

GreshamH said:
I doubt the tanks Jeremy services get major coraline build-up since he's paid to keep them clean :) I do know he LOVES the sock.

From here on out I let Gresham speak for me since he just hit the nail on the head, I even use the Kent scraper for coraline :D

When the sock gets old, like Tony I use it manually, or even stick it on my Kent scraper to eradicate diatoms.

Sweet. Does that mean I can go buy stuff on credit for you? Umm Robert, Jeremy wants all the b/w and pink clams...

walking the line is fun :) You guys are killing me :lol:

Walk%20The%20Line%20Poster%20-%20300.jpg

Back