High Tide Aquatics

Acrylic Rods for Attaching Rock

Re-doing the rock work n my tank and was curious as to what size acrylic rods others have used to attach the rocks together? Also how far do you drill into the rock to install the rod on say to pieces stacked with an off set vertically.

Also remember to have a more natural look the rocks must blend together. Simply stacking the rock will not give you a natural look. You may want to consider placing some hydraulic cement to blend the rocks together.

Thanks John that would be great.

iani said:
Also remember to have a more natural look the rocks must blend together. Simply stacking the rock will not give you a natural look. You may want to consider placing some hydraulic cement to blend the rocks together.
The rocks stack togther pretty well, I just want to attach them together for more stability.

Brian, I also have about 3-4 feet of acrylic rod left if need extra. Or if anyone else needs it.

Does BAYMAC or the BAR table have like a bin for stuff we want to give away?

Tumbleweed said:
Thanks John that would be great.

iani said:
The rocks stack togther pretty well, I just want to attach them together for more stability.

Sounds good Brian, I should be there between 1 - 3.

If you just want stability I would use cement over something like rods. Its so much harder to place a rock exactly where you want it with rods than it is just stabilizing it with some cement.

If you don't want to go for the entire bucket of cement, you could use marine epoxy (Aquamend, etc) to stabilize the rocks and hide the rods. The epoxy will encrust over with coraline eventually and you won't be able to notice it.

Just picked up some Hydraulic Cement from Home Depot yesterday. Unfortunetly I don't remember the brand but are all hydraulic Cements about the same? All Reef Safe? Anything that I should look out for?

Back