Neptune Aquatics

Adding another tank to existing system

sid700

Supporting Member
Hello. I would like to add a 20 gal tank into my current 150g system (120 g + sump + fuge). I plan to have about 2"-4" of new crush coral sand on the new tank. Should I cycle the sand first? Or can I just hook it up? TIA

Bernie,
Adding a prop tank ? I would make sure the substrate is rinsed. But you can add in line you and dont do a water change that week and just add new 20 gallons of water. You may want to add some live rock from your tank and chaeto to add pods. Are sure you want to add crushed coral? how about sure fine sand? check the link below

http://www.vafishfreek.com/substrate.htm

Hey Dudley. Yes it's sort of a prop tank - more of a tank to house all my corals. I don't really have much. I figure without any corals in the 120, I can reduce the my MH lights.

I'm going to convert the pendent I got from you to a 150w and use that over my 20 gal (24"x18"x12").

The crushed coral is more for look. I might also get some kind of sand-dwelling goby in the future.

I'll just do as you say. I think my system can take a slight cycle if it happens. I was just concerned that adding the un-cycled substrate might exacerbate my algae problems. The algae is now under control, but I have to be diligent, or it might get out of hand again.

Crushed coral for substrate can cometimes cause you real problems with nitrates. It is a big nitrate trap. Be careful.

I don't think if you have a well established 150g system that adding 20 gallons of water and substrate would do anything to re-cycle your tank. It is essentially no different then doing a regular water change (and not even a big one) and adding some new rock. Now if you were to say the other way around (i.e. you have a 20-50 G tank and were adding a 150 G tank to your system) you might have more issues.

[quote author=sid700 link=topic=4287.msg51870#msg51870 date=1218469907]

The crushed coral is more for look. I might also get some kind of sand-dwelling goby in the future.

[/quote]

I wouldn't recomend a sand dwelling goby with crushed coral, a fine sand would make them much more confortable

Back