Kessil

Adding fish post ICH infestation

I lost all my fish to a BAD ICH breakout in my tank. At what point will I know when it is safe too add fish again? It has been about 2 months since the last fish was in the tank.

60 day life cycle or was it 30? You should be fine but let Jeremy pop in first :)

Don't make me grab a book of off the shelf :lol: Come on Jeremy jump in so I don't have to skim for the answer I know I know but forgot :p

up to 40 days depending on temp.

up to a 40 life cycle (dependent on temp) is what several books I referenced showed as well as an email I shot out to some one I consider an expert.

GreshamH said:
up to a 40 life cycle (dependent on temp) is what several books I referenced showed as well as an email I shot out to some one I consider an expert.

Sorry, I hate Ich so I avoid the subject ;), just hinting of it makes me want to make the rounds :D

IIRC ~30 days at 82-84, ~40 days at 76-78.

Lately I've been experimenting with treating Ich in reef tanks via preventing secondary bacterial infections and letting the disease run its course. My results have been very encouraging. I'll have to do a post on it the next time one of my tanks becomes infected, the last tank I treated was a 300g with great results.

Reefdad said:
I assume it is 40 days after all fish have been removed?

correct. If a host is present I would safe it's safe to assume it may be a vector unless you took whole tank measures.

I'm not the expert Gresh refers to, but just to be safe I've gone by the rule of thumb of 8 weeks with no host AND no new introductions. Some folks think "no fish, no problem", this is just an invert ... however, the invert could be holding cysts that restart the clock.

Back