got ethical husbandry?

Advice on drilling return holes...

The overflows in my new 170 are plastic and haven't been drilled yet. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how/where to drill the holes. Do I just want to drill them as high up as possible on the overflow without compromising the structure? (i.e.: Not too near the teeth?)

Also do you guys use a uniseal or bulkhead on the overflow returns? I've always gotten tanks with the overflows pre-drilled, so I've never had to do this.

What is this hole for? Return pipe?

OK I just look at your tank thread again. Are you sure there is no glass behind the acrylic? Normally glass tank has a glass overflow box and the plastic/acrylic is just a cover.

If you are drilling the hole for the return, I would drill as high as possible. Remember the water will drain to that level when there is a power outage. You can use checkvalve but I don't trust them at all. Make sure your sump is big enough to handle all the water..

Thanks Phong... The hole is just for the return pipe. I doublechecked and the overflow is definitely just acrylic. I will drill the holes as high as possible... I was thinking that would be best to minimize drain back to the sump. I am debating now whether to install bulkhead fittings or uniseals. I think uniseals might save a lot of space in the overflow...

IMO, bulkhead works much better. There are "low profile" bulkhead that you can buy. TSE Koi has a lot. Whatever you use, buy it first before drilling. 1" SCH80 bulkhead required a bigger hole than the 1" SCH40 one.

Why do you want to drill the hole anyway? Why not just go over the OF and back down??

Hmm... I didn't think of that! That's a much better idea actually. That would save me the work of drilling, the cost of the bulkheads and allow me to position the return outlet high in the tank so it doesn't drain much.

I knew there was a reason I posted this questions here. :p

Back