Jestersix

AEFW

So I noticed a couple of white spots on an acro frag the other day so I pulled it out for closer inspection. I re-dipped the fag and turkey basted it and a single AEFW flatwom popped off.

For the most part, I dip all my new additions with Tropic Marine prior to placing them in the tank.

What is everyones advise on this? I have prety much nothing but frags still since the tank is newish. I dont see any signs of biting or marks on other acros. Do you think I need to pull every fag out and redip them?

Sigh...

I was almost done stocking the tank to. After maybe a couple more frags, I was planning on just waiting till everything grow out and not adding anything else.

At least I know you didn't get them from me : ).....Anyways I think if its easy take them out and dip them again. From what I know you should inspect them for eggs sacks as well. Was this from a new frag or an old one?

Dip all frags and place in Quarentine tank.

Dip in what? Povidone or TMPCC - you can dip in TMPCC depending on the strength of the solution dip for a shorter time frame - longer durations will cause really bad rtn. I like using povidone simply because you can dip in slightly stronger solutions or lighter solutions for a lengthier time frame.

Some people have reported good results with a product called Coral Revive

I have tried fluke tabs (not in tank treatment) once which ended in disaster (bleached the sps out), the second time around it was used as a second dip treatment after povidone treatment.

I broke frags out from larger colonies which had eggs at the base and threw the bases out (which is like three-quarters of the coral).

Clkwrk started a pretty good thread last year you can peruse through

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=903839&highlight=aefw

Ok, gonna redip everything with TMPCC and see what comes off. If anything comes off Ill decide from there what my next plan will be.

The frag I found it on was from a bay area store, but I cant really say the worm originated from there.l

So far Ive dipped 5 frags and have found no other flatworms.

I re-examined the original frag with the flatworm and saw what may have been eggs. It was really small and could have just been dead tissue. It didnt lok like the pictures Ive seen. Ive decided that Im gona throw this frag away. Kinda bummed heh because this came as a mysterious brown acro and this month it started to get some insane yellow, green and purple. But its definetely not worth placing back in the tank if theres a chance that it may have even a single egg intact.

So far so good.

Another question, are you absolutely sure the first coral had a flatworm come off?

I've dipped corals, swore there was a flatworm, only under a slightly higher magnification to notice it was something else (detritus or something)

Pretty sure it was a flatworm. It was moving and looked just like the image on melev's post regarding them.

Im crossing my fingers that this was just isolated to this frag. So far it looks to be so.

This frag was luckily placed in an area where it would be a long treck to reach another acro.

If you have a bad infestation they come off with very little swishing or turkey basting, but if they are just starting out you have to let the frag sit a bit before turkey basting/blasting the flatworms off.

They cling on quite tenaciously.

I had the frags dipped in tropicmarine for a total of 15 minutes and blasted pretty regularly after they were in there for 10 minutes. If there were any on there still, they must be really resilient. Im fairly confident those fraggs were clean.

If you haven't tossed the frag yet, I'll be at the Steinhart tomorrow in the city. If we can meet up, I can put the frag in my QT and see what happens.

Oops. The frag is dried and on my desk =(

Thanks for the offer though.

Kinda bummed because it was really turning into an insane looking acro. But I just didnt want to risk anything..

Back