Neptune Aquatics

Alk/Ca Maintenance Suggestions

I was dosing the same amount when I made the switch. I got a killer deal on a used skimz cm152. So glad I made the switch!!!

I took out a rugby ball sized chalice when I was dosing that, and went down to <150 mL a day.

If you have the room under or near the tank, a calcium reactor is likely the way to go, especially if you are close to or over 250 gallons total. From my research, it seems like the pump matters more than the reactor. But I don't have one, so this is only from research. My favorite setups keep some dosing capability for either alk or kalk in order to fine tune the numbers, and help keep ph up. Good luck on the switch!

I took out a rugby ball sized chalice when I was dosing that, and went down to <150 mL a day.

If you have the room under or near the tank, a calcium reactor is likely the way to go, especially if you are close to or over 250 gallons total. From my research, it seems like the pump matters more than the reactor. But I don't have one, so this is only from research. My favorite setups keep some dosing capability for either alk or kalk in order to fine tune the numbers, and help keep ph up. Good luck on the switch!
I have a few large SPS which seem to be using it all up in my XXL 750. It would be easiest if I could put the resctor in my canopy. I don't really have any other space left as I'd likely leave the 2 part set up as well.

Liquid in the canopy is asking for a leak on electronics. I am pretty sure these get heavy too as they are full of crushed coral and water so mounting would not be trivial. A bin could catch leaks and strong structure could support it. Not saying it can't be done, but there are likely other reasons to try to keep it low.

Sounds like it could also be time to frag.

Let's see a tank journal!

And I bet if you became a supporting member, someone would have an old one they could let you use to try. They get sold for pretty cheap on our B/S/T forum, which you need to be a supporting member to see.

Liquid in the canopy is asking for a leak on electronics. I am pretty sure these get heavy too as they are full of crushed coral and water so mounting would not be trivial. A bin could catch leaks and strong structure could support it. Not saying it can't be done, but there are likely other reasons to try to keep it low.
It's held up by the wall studs with 2 TV mounts and cables supporting the ends.

Yes, leaking would be a problem with the electronics up there, pan and drain maybe

You can get a reactor inside that section.
I've never seen a ca reactor inside a sump submerged in water. :oops:

Ca Reactor in the canopy would be difficult because the reactor is big and heavy; it has a pump attached to it and then there's the CO2 tank with the regulator you have to contend with. You might try squeezing the reactor inside the tank stand and then move other things to the canopy. You could leave a CO2 tank outside the stand and next to it. It could be hidden with a plant or something.

I've never seen a ca reactor inside a sump submerged in water. :oops:

Ca Reactor in the canopy would be difficult because the reactor is big and heavy; it has a pump attached to it and then there's the CO2 tank with the regulator you have to contend with. You might try squeezing the reactor inside the tank stand and then move other things to the canopy. You could leave a CO2 tank outside the stand and next to it. It could be hidden with a plant or something.
Some can be submerged (e.g. the Geo reactors)

Back