Reef nutrition

Annoying Flow Pattern

Least of my problems but I thought I'd share.

The general layout of my tank is big pile of rocks with space all around the backs/front/sides so that the water all flows in one direction. Left to right at the front and Right to Left at the back. The gap at the back is small.

I have a "shallow" sand bed. I have a kind of tunnel in the middle of the tank from front to back that the fish love... I think this is where I get a problem.

What happens is that the sand has always move away from the acrylic at the front of the tank (in the middle section near the tunnel) It's always been a little annoying. Now, it's getting ridiculous... the sand moves back , higher and higher and now gets picked up in a little vortex and goes a few grains get picked up and dumped fairly high in the tank... over rocks and coral. The vortex was as high as 12 inches off the bottom this morning.

I'm thinking, I have to sacrifice the aesthetics of the tunnel and block it up so the flow is more regular...Bah!

-Adrian

Mine are pretty high... I noticed that one Tunze was higher than the other... so I figured I may get to much Up and down movement, so I put them at the same level as each other (no help). I do want to retain some flow at the bottom, its just the strange uplift and swirl at the bottom that needs to go :)I may try and block the tunnel just at the back to create a lower flow haven... but it'll probably have the opposite effect (sigh)

-Adrian

moving a pump a few inches in any direction can have a sizable steady state flow pattern change. Rather then getting drastic, just move your pump 4" in some direction. Check your flow after you re-establish your flow pattern and see if it helped. If not, try a different spot. repeat.

Back