Cali Kid Corals

Any Zeovit Users in BAR

I used to use a full blown zeo system, and still use a partial system currently. Like any other bacterial nutrient export system, it relies on bacterial biomass to lock up N and P, which is then exported via skimming. The bacterial reproduction is pushed with some sort of energy source or limiting nutrient (usually a carbon source), and supplements are used to encourage coloration once the system becomes "low nutrient" or "ultra low nutrient"

There are many different similar systems out there (prodibio, polyp lab, fauna marin, etc). I have seen tanks that have great SPS coloration with and without such systems. It's by no means the only way to reduce nutrients, but it does work.

JMO!

I know Randy Holmes usually discourages these methods because he thinks the system starves corals and creates an unstable environment. My only concern is the cost. Those supplements aren't cheap.

It is definitely very easy to overdo it in the beginning, and cause issues such as STN, by trying to move too quickly. But once you get past the learning curve, it becomes a little easier to control the system.

The cost is still pretty expensive, esp for larger volume systems, but it's cheaper than it was a few years ago

it is like run on the razors edge system is not very forgiving you have to keep up on your dosing like Vapormd said once you learn how to control it it can have great results. when it is working well you can get colors to POP and corals look insane

Back