Our mission

Anyone with a microscope?

lhuynh

Supporting Member
Ever since I started dosing to get NO3 and PO4 to get them above zero, I've had algae/cyano/dino issues. I did the shake test and filtering, and the slime didn't reform, so I HOPED it wasn't dinos. After 4 months, I'm still fighting things. Lost a number of frags along the way of all types. My parameters have been steady with NO3 2-6 ppm (Red Sea) and PO4 .03-.08 (Hanna). My other parameters have held around 7.4 Alk and 390-400 Ca. Mg is fine also.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Was wondering if someone has a microscope near me (I'm in Berkeley) and willing to look at the water to make see if it might, in fact, be dinos or something else. AC and Bay Bridge said they couldn't take a look for me.

TIA

Larry

Edit: Ahh but he's in San Jose.

Ever since I started dosing to get NO3 and PO4 to get them above zero, I've had algae/cyano/dino issues. I did the shake test and filtering, and the slime didn't reform, so I HOPED it wasn't dinos. After 4 months, I'm still fighting things. Lost a number of frags along the way of all types. My parameters have been steady with NO3 2-6 ppm (Red Sea) and PO4 .03-.08 (Hanna). My other parameters have held around 7.4 Alk and 390-400 Ca. Mg is fine also.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Was wondering if someone has a microscope near me (I'm in Berkeley) and willing to look at the water to make see if it might, in fact, be dinos or something else. AC and Bay Bridge said they couldn't take a look for me.

TIA

Larry

Thanks for the pings, all, and sorry for my intermittent presence. @Ihunyh I should be in San Leandro/Hayward sometime this week. If you want to meet at Aquatic Collection and drop off a sample containing the sand/water/gunk in question, I'm happy to look at it, take some pictures, and let you know what you're most likely dealing with.

Reactions: JVU
Thanks for the pings, all, and sorry for my intermittent presence. @Ihunyh I should be in San Leandro/Hayward sometime this week. If you want to meet at Aquatic Collection and drop off a sample containing the sand/water/gunk in question, I'm happy to look at it, take some pictures, and let you know what you're most likely dealing with.
@IOnceWasLegend that would be great. sending a PM

Back