Jestersix

Apex IOTA control of Kessils?

JVU

President
BOD
I use Kessil A360X lights with a wifi dongle controlled by the Kessil app, and I use Apex. The Kessil app works well but isn’t controllable when I’m not home and takes a longer time than I’d like to connect. I was excited to hear it would be possible to have my lights controlled by the Apex when they announced it last year. I read through the manual describing how to do this (linked below) and it seems relatively straightforward but you have to reset your dongle, delete and rebuild all your light settings, and the 2 systems use different standards for representing colors so you need to convert everything. If you decide you don’t like it apparently you have to start over again with the Kessil app.

So I was just curious if anyone here had done this and if you have a review of the Apex control vs the Kessil app control. A couple specific questions about the Apex control- Is the light transition between colors and intensity smooth like it is with the app, or more like a jarring step transition? Can you make and easily switch between different saved programs? Can you easily temporarily override the program to increase or decrease the intensity?

Can't comment on the other features you mentioned, since I haven't been able to find them intuitively (and haven't cared enough to look), but I'm disappointed at the connectivity.

My Apex disconnected overnight last week. It lost the IOTA connection, which stayed lost for several hours afterwards (just stated 'disconnected'). I could not turn on the light and any modifications to the light required modifying the script rather than a GUI.

My light also failed to turn on this morning in spite of maintaining connection to the Apex. Turning the IOTA connection off and on in Fusion made the light start working but, if I was not working from home, I would have had no idea the light wasn't on.

Can't comment on the other features you mentioned, since I haven't been able to find them intuitively (and haven't cared enough to look), but I'm disappointed at the connectivity.

My Apex disconnected overnight last week. It lost the IOTA connection, which stayed lost for several hours afterwards (just stated 'disconnected'). I could not turn on the light and any modifications to the light required modifying the script rather than a GUI.

My light also failed to turn on this morning in spite of maintaining connection to the Apex. Turning the IOTA connection off and on in Fusion made the light start working but, if I was not working from home, I would have had no idea the light wasn't on.
I haven’t had any problems like this with the Kessil app interfacing to the hardware dongle, it has been reliable for me so far. When I can’t connect it just keeps doing its normal program. Doesn’t sound like an improvement to switch to Apex control.

I haven’t had any problems like this with the Kessil app interfacing to the hardware dongle, it has been reliable for me so far. When I can’t connect it just keeps doing its normal program. Doesn’t sound like an improvement to switch to Apex control.
That's my take. I initially did it this way because I wanted to have as few apps as possible; however, I'm likely going to switch to the Kessil control given my issues and what I suspect is limited functionality.

Back