Jestersix

Featured VOTE NOW!!! April '24 - POTM Contest - Spring Rainbow

ReyDeFarts

Photography, Contests
BOD
Congrats to @Srt4eric for the March contest win!
This image could have won this month's theme!
001_Mar24_POTM (Srt4Eric).jpg

Contest Details:
  • Submit your best image full of the rainbow colors of Spring! It could be your tank, a coral, multiple corals, fish, or all of the above.
  • Submit your pic to me via DM
You can win up to three times a year.
If you win three times, you can no longer submit photos for the rest of the year.

This month's prize package includes:
$50 LFS credit to one of our partner stores (Cali Kid, High Tide Aquatics, or Neptune Aquatics)

Rules:
Open to Supporting Members Only
Theme: Rainbow Colors of Spring

DM photo to @ReyDeFarts
Voting open to all forum members & guests
You can vote for more than one photo
Entries accepted until April 22nd at 11:59pm
Entries posted & voting starts April 23rd
Voting ends April 30th at 11:59pm
The winner is determined by the most votes
Winner announced May 1st

Congrats to @Srt4eric for the March contest win!
This image could have won this month's theme!
View attachment 54584
Contest Details:
  • Submit your best image full of the rainbow colors of Spring! It could be your tank, a coral, multiple corals, fish, or all of the above.
  • Submit your pic to me via DM
You can win up to three times a year.
If you win three times, you can no longer submit photos for the rest of the year.

This month's prize package includes:
$50 LFS credit to one of our partner stores (Cali Kid, High Tide Aquatics, or Neptune Aquatics)

Rules:
Open to Supporting Members Only
Theme: Rainbow Colors of Spring

DM photo to @ReyDeFarts
Voting open to all forum members & guests
You can vote for more than one photo
Entries accepted until April 22nd at 11:59pm
Entries posted & voting starts April 23rd
Voting ends April 30th at 11:59pm
The winner is determined by the most votes
Winner announced May 1st
Does this have to be of my tank, or can I take a picture of someone else’s tank? As in, do I have to own the tank or can I just be the one who takes the picture?

Does this have to be of my tank, or can I take a picture of someone else’s tank? As in, do I have to own the tank or can I just be the one who takes the picture?
It's not really something we have discussed. Personally, I think it should be pictures of our tanks. But, I'm sure most others wouldn't care. So if anyone seeing this has an issue with it, state your case here.

Send me your pic in the meantime. I'll get you entered.

It's not really something we have discussed. Personally, I think it should be pictures of our tanks. But, I'm sure most others wouldn't care. So if anyone seeing this has an issue with it, state your case here.

I just wanted to be aware of the rules before I got started: I don't have too much rainbow in my tank, hence the question :)

I personally wouldn't care, but in terms of fairness I think it should at least a tank that's in your care if not your personal tank. (there is a easy way I can envision this being abused in terms of someone going to a lfs/ coral show and finding something awesome/ rare snap snap and instant unfair advantage. Unless this constest is solely meant as a photograph contest only? Seprate from the heart of what the contest implies to me- meaning something that you aquired, cared for, placed, or colored up. In short something that involved your personal efforts/husbandry leading to the state of the subject photographed, and not something you happened to come across.)

That being said if you work at a lfs/ service a tank you don’t own yet you are the one who takes primary care of the item photographed I wouldn't object to it not being a tank you owned. (Taking their word for it based on honor system)

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't care, but in terms of fairness I think it should at least a tank that's in your care if not your personal tank. (there is a easy way I can envision this being abused in terms of someone going to a lfs/ coral show and finding something awesome/ rare snap snap and instant unfair advantage. Unless this constest is solely meant as a photograph contest only? Seprate from the heart of what the contest implies to me- meaning something that you aquired, cared for, placed, or colored up. In short something that involved your personal efforts/husbandry leading to the state of the subject photographed, and not something you happened to come across.)

That being said if you work at a lfs/ service a tank you don’t own yet you are the one who takes primary care of the item photographed I wouldn't object to it not being a tank you owned. (Taking their word for it based on honor system)
All valid and fair points and where my mind was at with it as well. Would like to hear others' opinions. I'll run the contests however the membership at-large would prefer them to be run.

@tribbitt being able to take a good photo is probably 50% of the contest since reef photos can be difficult if you haven't played around with it much as you know. The spirit of the competition is still to grow the coral yourself since a lot of coloration comes from husbandry skills.

Also be creative! How could you create a rainbow effect with the corals or other animals you do have? Maybe use macroalgae etc.

@tribbitt being able to take a good photo is probably 50% of the contest since reef photos can be difficult if you haven't played around with it much as you know. The spirit of the competition is still to grow the coral yourself since a lot of coloration comes from husbandry skills.

Also be creative! How could you create a rainbow effect with the corals or other animals you do have? Maybe use macroalgae etc.
Definitely understand that point of view: a large part of a good photo is the subject matter itself, and a nice tank is definitely a prerequisite to a nice tank picture.

Reminder to get your pics submitted! Deadline is coming up quick.

Also, send me some photo contest theme ideas for the rest of the year. Thanks.

Time to get your votes in!

You can vote for every picture or be more selective. Up to you! Encourage your friends and other members to vote. Also, feel free to give me some theme ideas for the rest of the year.

Back