Reef nutrition

A's 56g mixed reef

A simple straightforward upgrade - nothing fancy except the tank :).
Thanks everyone in here especially Will (@Turkeysammich) and Max (@popper) to make this happen.

Tank: Starfire glass 186 gallons - 60x26x27
Skimmer: 10 yrs old classic Reef Octopus 150-int - upgrade when needed.
Lights: old 2 x Smatfarms G5 + 36" led bar + 1 new Smatfarm G5. Will add extra led bar, Smatfarm or A8SE (XR30 knockoff) when needed
Power heads: reuse 2 x Jebao MLW-30. Consider to buy 2 x Jebao MLW-20 or MCP-150 (gyre crossflow)
Return pumps: reuse 1 x Jebao MDP-5000 + 1 new MDP-10000

CCED0B69-AE9B-43B9-B0C4-626031E28A16.jpeg

All clean with citric acid

074CAF8B-5EA1-4E29-9B60-8B5E0E949381.jpeg

Making rodi, mixing salts in tank and ready for plumbing

BCA3E55B-43BE-403D-A6AE-6FD36AE0A111.jpeg

I'm planning to migrate the live stocks this afternoon; however, a quick check on Alk with hanna: current tank 8 vs 10.4 (freshly mixed IO salt)
What should I do? Slowly raise current tank to 10 in 2 days?
What a bummer, I should think about this before hand and use different salt.

Muriatic like RHF works well. Some salts lose alk too as they continue to mix (especially if pCO2 is low during a fresh not super well mixed batch, or if there's some microbial growth).

Muriatic like RHF works well. Some salts lose alk too as they continue to mix (especially if pCO2 is low during a fresh not super well mixed batch, or if there's some microbial growth).
Yeah, this probably is easiest way. Will use air pump to raise pH and add some NeoNitro to raise the nitrate to ~5ppm as well.

I'm planning to migrate the live stocks this afternoon; however, a quick check on Alk with hanna: current tank 8 vs 10.4 (freshly mixed IO salt)
What should I do? Slowly raise current tank to 10 in 2 days?
What a bummer, I should think about this before hand and use different salt.
To my knowledge, fish aren't sensitive to KH, ph is the main factor. I qt fish often and never measure KH. I just moved a pbt to 2 different qt tank twice in 3 weeks, and it's still eating and swimming fine. (Long story)

I use a dechlorinizer (forgot brand) one day before adding fish. I'll send a picture tonight.

This is newer but ammonium bicarbonate might be a better option to raise nitrate and feed corals:

Read up on it if course before trying it out!
I remembered reading about this couple months ago. Sanjay and his colleague tried and lose couple of fish but had good result with vivid color and grow.
Right now I just want to make new 190 gallons "dirtier" with nitrate to match the old water.

To my knowledge, fish aren't sensitive to KH, ph is the main factor. I qt fish often and never measure KH. I just moved a pbt to 2 different qt tank twice in 3 weeks, and it's still eating and swimming fine. (Long story)

I use a dechlorinizer (forgot brand) one day before adding fish. I'll send a picture tonight.

I'm worry more about corals.

I remembered reading about this couple months ago. Sanjay and his colleague tried and lose couple of fish but had good result with vivid color and grow.
Right now I just want to make new 190 gallons "dirtier" with nitrate to match the old water.

I'm worry more about corals.
I thought livestock refers to fish. use Dr Tim One and Only. Otherwise wait 1 month to safely transfer.

From old tank, I will move all live rocks, substrate, and 50 gallons of water over. Those should be ok to handle current corals + fish. Only new 180 gallons of water will change all the parameters especially alk/ph/temp/nitrate/phosphate (like 2-3x 100% water change) - so if I can match/get closed to old parameters, I can transfer right away.

Back