Our mission

ATO container

musclebenz

Supporting Member
I need to use a larger ATO container when on vacation. Are the black Costco bins safe to use for two weeks?
1658697788663.png

I used one for water changes for years. Mine bulged out every 4-6 months. I wouldn’t trust these full of water.

Last edited:
Should be fine. Consider cutting a hole in the lid for the pump/tubing, as opposed to leaving the lid off. Having the lid on likely will help with evaporation, stuff/pets falling in, and structural strength (if needed). I’ve used them temporarily up to half full or so with no problems. I wouldn’t be worried to use them full as a temporary ATO.

As with any vacation-proofing tank planning I’d recommend you implement it asap so you hopefully have it going for at least a week or 2 before you leave and you can make sure there aren’t going to be any surprises.

I’ve had 40-50 lbs of rock curing in a bin full to the brim with water for around two months. You should be fine. If the bulging sides bother you, put some tie down straps around it with a rachet. You could always use a brute trash can as well. If you’re close I can loan a 22g brute can.

As with any vacation-proofing tank planning I’d recommend you implement it asap so you hopefully have it going for at least a week or 2 before you leave and you can make sure there aren’t going to be any surprises.
Hi John, Yes I am going to start putting it in place tomorrow.

Reactions: JVU
Alternately, you can use a Brute container with a lid. I have a 30 gallon container I used when I was out of town for a couple weeks; lid helped reduce evaporation, and those things are sturdy.

EDIT: @musclebenz Actually, I haven't used it in a while, so you're welcome to borrow it while you're out of town if you'd like. Probably needs to be rinsed out, but I can take care of that for you.

Last edited:
Back