Neptune Aquatics

AVAST Spyglass Reactors

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Has anyone used these media reactors before, e.g. for GAC or GFO? They are currently not in stock, but I would wait for it if useful. Since I do not have one yet, I wanted to buy one that is effective and easy to maintain, which this seems it would be.

IMG_1312.jpeg

I have one too. good for gfo but don't think it's good for gac. as the tumbling action causes gac fines which can irritate fish. if avast is out of stock, think nyos torq is similar.

I have one too. good for gfo but don't think it's good for gac. as the tumbling action causes gac fines which can irritate fish. if avast is out of stock, think nyos torq is similar.
great point on the tumbling, Tony. They have a video showing their GAC tumbling slowly, could this be a matter of the GAC quality

I had one, kind of a pain to clean the media and catch the dust, even with their setup for washing media. Carbon (rox) would float out unless I used the screen, the screen would clog every 4-5 days. I found lifeguard media reactors to be the best, I pull it out,
Load it and run it in a bucket for a few mins and back into the tank.

I had one, kind of a pain to clean the media and catch the dust, even with their setup for washing media. Carbon (rox) would float out unless I used the screen, the screen would clog every 4-5 days. I found lifeguard media reactors to be the best, I pull it out,
Load it and run it in a bucket for a few mins and back into the tank.

Appreciate the recommendation, and insight.

I have an Aquamaxx Sigma reactor for whenever I want to run media. Similar to the spyglass, I like that I can pull out the canister to replace media without needing to unplug and pull out the pump to do so. For fine rox carbon or gfo, I do need to put it in a mesh bag though or else it leaks out of the sponges.

Last edited:
Back