Jestersix

Ayman 170 Red Sea Reef Tank

Unfortunately i chipped my tank last week when i was moving. Worst part is that it happened at the end when I was unloading to new place.

Pros is that i was able to get all my corals, live stock in the costco bin and they are doing fine. Happy i didn't lose anything.

Plan. Look for a new tank since i am not comfortable trying to fix it especially because of the red sea seam reputation.

I was looking at the IM75Ext last night but wanted to get more input from all first.

last picture is of the space i am working with.

Thanks all in advance. View attachment 53918
I feel like the last moment of a move is the most dangerous one. Similar to how most people get injured climbing down a mountain versus up. Easy to relax just a bit after everything's been going wrong, but just as easy to cause damage at the last second as the first second.

A similar thing happened to me moving a sump around. Perfect perfect perfect, then the last time I put it down, crack. I think someone else on here recently had a similar issue with a big tank.

I'm not sure if this is the bestest solution, but when I chipped mine I used a bunch of epoxy and glued on a bunch of external support acrylic to it.

Edit: I meant "Easy to relax just a bit after everything's been going right"

Last edited:
I feel like the last moment of a move is the most dangerous one. Similar to how most people get injured climbing down a mountain versus up. Easy to relax just a bit after everything's been going wrong, but just as easy to cause damage at the last second as the first second.

A similar thing happened to me moving a sump around. Perfect perfect perfect, then the last time I put it down, crack. I think someone else on here recently had a similar issue with a big tank.

I'm not sure if this is the bestest solution, but when I chipped mine I used a bunch of epoxy and glued on a bunch of external support acrylic to it.
I’ve cracked more tanks during breaking down than building a new tank.

They've been 50 off since @IOnceWasLegend got his tank months ago lol
Over a year since I ordered, and yeah; they've also been going up in price in spite of the near-constant 50% off. I will say, however, that I feel like Innovative Marine is the best bang for the buck you can get for a brand new tank.

Touching on your other thread: Assuming you're referring to structural load bearing: I don't think weight should be a 'concern' when deciding on a tank, I think it should be a binary 'yes' or 'no'. If the answer is 'yes it can be supported without winding up like that guy on Reddit who broke a joist', my preference would be to go for the largest tank that can fit in the area you're placing it in (as well as going with a non-IM sump).

@Ayman did just move into a new place (ground floor right?) So if you're on the concrete pad, weight isn't an issue. But measure your door, add space around the tank for pumps/electrical, and make sure it fits (and doesn't mess up your lease).

Also keep in mind everything scales to be more expensive the larger you get (you need more RO water, pumps, sand, lights, rock, etc.) Look at many thousands over just the price of the tank before you're done.

If you do go with a new IM tank, hit up @under_water_ninja (Kenny at High Tide) as your closest LFS who can order and have it drop shipped for pretty much the same price as online.

Edit: I meant "Easy to relax just a bit after everything's been going ri

@Ayman did just move into a new place (ground floor right?) So if you're on the concrete pad, weight isn't an issue. But measure your door, add space around the tank for pumps/electrical, and make sure it fits (and doesn't mess up your lease).

Also keep in mind everything scales to be more expensive the larger you get (you need more RO water, pumps, sand, lights, rock, etc.) Look at many thousands over just the price of the tank before you're done.

If you do go with a new IM tank, hit up @under_water_ninja (Kenny at High Tide) as your closest LFS who can order and have it drop shipped for pretty much the same price as online.
Correct first floor, but i will keep in mind the points you mentioned. Just looking around and seeing what makes sense. For now i will keep looking and hoping to make a decision by next week.

Back