High Tide Aquatics

BAR thread in RC

I've been noticing that there have been alot of not Bay Area RC members posting on the BAR thread. Anyone else noticed the same thing? Are we just a popular group? ;D

Apon & Raddogz, I'm with you, but I think To-Arbitrate's point was less about them being non-members and more about them being non-locals.

I too have noticed this recently and thought it was odd, but it maybe that they monitor for nice corals that never make it to the FS threads. Regarless, I too find it funny to see east coasters chiming in on the BAR RC threads.

-Charles

I think that is just opposite what they want to do ;) From what I gather, they'd like what the last BOD wanted, for BAR posts to happen on this forum, and to down play the RC forum. The RC forum is waterred down with a bunch of non members.

I haven't heard anything about closing this forum down, but who am I anymore?!? :D

I think doing club business on RC has helped/hurt the club. RC gave us great visibility and that was nice. It seems to me it also hindered the club ever really developing its own personality because most of our club discussions have been public which means that non club members have had lots of input regarding the club. It feels to me kind of like BAR is a RC club instead of being its own thing. On RC we cannot really post announcements about our sponsors, our sponsors can't post, anyone around the world can chime in, and we have absolutely no control over moderation or policies.
I think BAR is in a 'limbo' area and really is poised to become something great in and of itself, but I think continuing to use RC as the primary means of communication will keep us 'limboed'.
I talked a lot with other club BOD members before suggesting we start our own forum. Every one of them, including Melev, said it was hard to get everyone to make the switch, but that it was the best thing that ever happened to their clubs because it fostered a better sense of community and participation.

The problem is honestly people won't stop using RC and it is true about the tendency for a "dead board" here though recently it has picked up a bit. I have logged on several times with a couple of day lag to find nothing new posted. It makes it really convienent to use only one central place to post. As much as I like and respect the resources and the info I can get from people in BAR, it pales in comparison to the plethora of information available on RC.

Also if you are tring to sell/trade something it opens you up to a much broader audience.

My 2 cents anyway.

I don't think we actually want people to stop using RC (ok I do, but that's because I like RDO much better ;D ), just to stop using it as the resource for the club. It seems that the only real difference is that instead of checking RC BAR, you check here instead (and its really easy if you bookmark the 'new posts since last I was logged in' page).

I think with the new year coming and the projects the BOD has in the pipeline, this forum could pick up real quick.

Selling to a broader audience through other sites is great, but I really like the club members and I usually and able to find someone locally here who has what I want or wants what I have. :D

2 more of my cents! ;D

I think a lot of that has to do with the way the club has been run and advertised. Being on RC makes us more of a loose affiliation of people who plop down 20 bucks to be able to get free stuff. If we became our own culture, instead of a RC subculture, I think the people who wanted to be in the club would help out more.

I actually don't think BAR members are lazy (well except me ;-) ) Its more of a question of spreading the wealth by finding small things that people can do and then asking them to do it. Like the way Mr. Ugly asked Elite to run the photo contest (which I think was a great idea, thanks Elite)

Part of that should be encouraging members to post here so that this board is more active ;-)

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1565.msg13876#msg13876 date=1166666906]
OR

Gresham could say the same thing in one sentence. ;D
[/quote]

What, you want another one :)

FWIW it's not hard to follow multiple boards. I activelly post on 5 seperate boards, and troll many more. Simply clicking on my bookmark reaally isn't much work. My password is saved, so I login instantly, and I have "homepages" on all that I check first.

I vote for ZERO BAR business to be posted on RC, except Fragswap announcements, or where other clubs would be involved.

Back