Kessil

Best way to setup a new tank in the same area?

I am considering a slight upgrade to my nuvo40 and getting a 50G cube with a sump...what would be the best way to execute this tank move if the tank is going in the same corner?

I assume I can dry fit and leak test the plumbing outside/ in the garage, but when it comes time to actually move, should I Just drain the tank and hold livestock in buckets and then set everything up where it needs to be?

I don't think I can feasibly have 60G of water premade, so im guessing its going to have to be half new water and half old water...Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t use more than 50% new water anyways.
Use a couple bins to hold half the water and fish. Drain the rest of the water. Push the old tank kit of the way. Set up new tank. Refill.
I don’t understand how you will leak test the plumbing if it’s only dry fitted?

Good point...I guess id glue in the plumbing and then leak test outside...Essentially doing a dry run of how the tank would be setup, so I can minimize the setup time in its final location

Leak test the plumbing? Do it all in place, glue it up, and then send water through, if it leaks it's going to drip at most which is easy to clean up. If you're gluing stuff together that's a permanent thing, there is no fixing it if it's leaking, and if it's leaking then you did a crappy glue job on the joint, you chop it out and start over.

Leak test the plumbing? Do it all in place, glue it up, and then send water through, if it leaks it's going to drip at most which is easy to clean up. If you're gluing stuff together that's a permanent thing, there is no fixing it if it's leaking, and if it's leaking then you did a crappy glue job on the joint, you chop it out and start over.
No, you just wait for the salt to deal with the leaky joint :D, or make sure it just drips into the sump and you’re fine

Plan for something to go wrong.

Thus, I would borrow a large rubbermaid tub, set everything up in there, including live rock and skimmer.
That gives you a few days easy to set things up, leak test, change plumbing, fix leaks, and so on.

Another tip: Consider removing sand from current tank well ahead of the move.

+1 on using old tank water as possible.

Plan for something to go wrong.

Thus, I would borrow a large rubbermaid tub, set everything up in there, including live rock and skimmer.
That gives you a few days easy to set things up, leak test, change plumbing, fix leaks, and so on.

Another tip: Consider removing sand from current tank well ahead of the move.

+1 on using old tank water as possible.
If you plan for worst-case scenarios you’ll either be ready for them when they happen, or pleasantly surprised when they don’t.

I upgraded from a 100 gallon plexi to a 180 glass, custom made stand built first in the garage, then we drained the 100gallon tank 1/2 way and pulled rock from the 100 and used slider disc's to move the tank and stand to the other side of the room and refilled it and kept it running for about two months while the new 180 took over the spot and we finished plumbing it and ran it first with freshwater to make sure no leaks, then we drained the new 180 fully and took everything from the 100 and moved it over.

But I had lots of space in my living room and a VERY cool wife that only complained about 10 times per day about how our kitchen/living room smelt like crap for two months.

Back