got ethical husbandry?

Blue Hippo Tang ?

I just added my first tang to my tank. It is a blue hippo about 3". She seems to hide a lot. Everything about here looks great, is this characteristic of these fish?

yep... until it gets comfortable it will do a lot of hiding... blue hippos are funny fish.... they can be both extremly personable and extremly shy... my favorite behavior that they do occassionally is play dead. :bigsmile:

I would add that it's important that they have a place to hide to feel safe.... and keep a close eye out for ich... it's inevitable IME if your keeping a blue. Just make sure you are feeding it well... vitamin enriched mysis w/ garlic and regular supply of nori is a good way to go IME.

Well it defiantly found a good hiding place, and as far as the Nori should I just get grocery store brand or is there a special type? How do I enrich my mysis with garlic?

Nori from the grocery store works fine. I also pick up one brand or another of similar at any LFS. There's a few ways to go about the garlic also... I've tried them all and find them equally effective. You can buy a few garlic extract products from LFS's like KENT's Garlic Xtreme. I also have just crushed a couple cloves of fresh garlic and found that they loved that also.

Erik I feed my tangs purple seaweed from 2 little fishes, to me it is the best damn thing going, ask Craig he will tell you about the helth of my tangs. Also IF you are planning any other tangs NOW would be the time to do it so they decide how the tank is gonna be devided as far as terrotory. I'm not saying you need to add any others just something to think about.

IMO Ick is not nessacary if the fish is healthy and doesn't get to stressed out.

That is a ton of tangs for a 90 erik, I would avoid the power blue as they literly almost ALWAYS get Ick.

And it's not a hard a fast rule, you just have more succuss if you add them together.

i would have to agree with Roc on the powder blue...i keep alot of tangs but tend to stay away from that particular one...the japanese whiteface tangs, which are commonly mistaken as powder browns, fair alot better..a purple tang is cool, but should be added last if you plan on getting any others, but in a 90 i would advise you stick to two otherwise you may run into territory battles...hth

I must agree with all of the provided information. However I suggest brightwell garlic as opposed to the Kent brand due to phosphate levels. And if you plan to keep multiple tangs they should be added at the same time...and get a bigger tank ,)

Back