Neptune Aquatics

Blue-lined Butterflyfish for Aiptasia?

Hello, All... I'm new to both reefing and BAR. I'll post an intro in the New Members section soon. I have a 100 gallon fish and LR tank that's been up for about 3 months. I also have a 12g nano that's been running for about 6 months and doing well, but now has Aiptasia that came in amongst some zoos. Would like to try biological control, and was wondering if anyone has seen the Blue-lined Butterflyfish used for this purpose? I'd like to put it in the nano for a while, and then move it over to the larger tank after the Aiptasia are decimated. Will it go for them? Or will it preferentially nibble the zoos and star polyps and gorgonian? I know a Klein's would be better, but I'm not partial to them and would rather have the Blue-lined if it will do the job.

TIA for any input,
Joe

I'd just get a peppermint shrimp and call it a day. The minute you take the B-fly out those little Aiptasia will be back.

BTW, welcome to the BAR forum!

yea...i second the peppermint shrimp. I put 2 in my 38 and they cleaned off ALL the aiptasias. The only thing was that I did have to use Aiptasia Control on some of the bigger ones but the peppermint shrimps handled all the small ones nicely.

+1 for peppermint shrimp, I have one and haven't seen aiptasia in a long time. They have issues though, like come feeding time they don't care if your corals are supposed to be eating, they steal from them :(

I put one in yesterday. So far it just hangs under the rock in the Nanocube and doesn't seem to have eaten anything... but obviously it is still early. Thanks for the input!

Those peppermints like to roam around more at night.

I've had peppermints take down 2" tall aiptasias. Just takes a while.

Back