Our mission

bottle tree

This article has a photo of the bottle tree in our front yard. Didn't know they used the photo until a neighbor stopped us this evening in the yard to say she recognized it as ours.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/10/HOE6178K0N.DTL

The article gives reasons to have one. We use it as a conversation item and welcome to the neighborhood. It works and has connected us to California much more than we could have done other ways.

Interesting article, and fun Bottle tree! I never knew about this Southern custom and its history. I love learning new things! :)

What Eileen said... now I know why you're called Yardartist :D

I tell you what's rarer that bottle trees in front yards .... Front yards! At least here in San Francisco :)

I got a couple trees in my backyard, only conversation I got from a couple neighbors up the hill is my trees were too damn big and they block their view out the back window.... (which basically consists of about a 2 inch thick slice of the bay, and the rest of the view is houses all the way down the hill).

Eileen, you can see the Durham art at yardartist.biz. Mostly stonework, but some bottles and old tires as well. The red heart was a cranberry glass with string lights and metal frame piece for a gallery around the corner here in Berkeley. I have not had time to continue this as I am always testing water or changing water or scraping the sides of the tank.

I am always collecting more glass. The garden out back will be getting a green ground addition soon.

Mike, so the people who think I am junking up the place have kept those comments to themselves so far. Too bad you have not been as lucky.

Back