Neptune Aquatics

Broadband Deals Cable/DSL

Mr. Ugly

Past President
I've been on a 6 month promotional deal for 6Mbps cable at $24/month. Alameda got turned over to Comcast this year and my rate was going to be $58/month until I called and told them I'd go back to DSL before paying that ridiculous price.

The promotion just ended, and also the service automatically got upgraded(a month or so ago) to 12Mbps. Existing customers get to pay anywhere from $38-$42/month. New signups have better promotions. $19/month for 6 months.

Called up Comcast again about promotion/campaign/retention deals, but they wouldn't play this time.

Looked at the 6Mbps DSL from ATT. $150 rebate for switching over from cable. Also free after rebate modem or gateway if you need one.

While I started processing a DSL service order, a chat window came up and the rep started doing a sales pitch.

After talking a bit, she offered an additional $75 rebate if I signed up right away. Sounded good, but I said I'd think about it. Figured if they could offer that so easily, I could still get it if I came back at a later time.

Checked one more time with Comcast to see if I could get a deal, but I guess the ATT promotions are hitting them too hard for them to bother with customer retention over new customers.

Went back to ATT the next day and got another rep on chat. Got the $150 and $75 rebates lined up, plus a free DSL modem. I already have a modem, but figured to get a newer one since there was a rebate on it.

So at $35/month less rebates, 1 year of DSL comes out to $16.25/month. Actually you can cancel at any time after you get the rebates, so 6 months would be $8/month.

I'm guessing they have other promotions, but the extra $75 on top of the $150 was good enough for me.

Some existing ATT DSL customers have been able to get their charges reduced by 50% for 6 months by telling ATT they want to cancel service. So that would be $17.50/month for 6Mbps.

Heheh, I did that with DirecTV, bitched up a storm and a half about switching to Cable or Dish because they're giving new customers the free dvr etc... well they wanted to keep me, so they gave me free HD-DVR and everything, only had to stay with a year (since it was their equipment and all).

Norm I got that 17.50 for 6mths deal about a month ago.

I also got my cable plus one HDDVR box w/ free HBO down to 38 dollars a month plus taxes (for a year), by telling them I was going to switch. I had to sign a one year contract with comcast.

Comcast don't like to loose customers to dish ATT or X but CS people are a pain to deal with, they are not aware of many of the offers on TV, newspaper, buses and such.
If you like their service but are about to end and they do not want to offer the same price of current promos, you can switch the account name, let's say your wife, gf, bf, husband it's a "Service Assumption" or just cancel and request under someone else name over the age of 18; when the tech arrives just let him/her know you already have the equipment or if they are giving you a DVR just swap box.

Yah, that $17.50/month looks pretty good for 6Mbps DSL.

Probably wasn't worth it to Comcast to keep me. I have them only for broadband, so they're not making any money from me on the other services.

If you like their service but are about to end and they do not want to offer the same price of current promos, you can switch the account name, let's say your wife, gf, bf, husband it's a "Service Assumption" or just cancel and request under someone else name over the age of 18

Good to know. I'll tell my wife I need to get a gf so that I can get a discount on broadband :D

I think I will switch to DSL after the promos. Comcast CS is gettting really bad. I had to call 4 times to get my installation fee back. Everytime I called they said oh we will credit you next month. 4 months to get my $ back |( ..

Mr. Ugly said:
Yah, that $17.50/month looks pretty good for 6Mbps DSL.

Probably wasn't worth it to Comcast to keep me. I have them only for broadband, so they're not making any money from me on the other services.

If you like their service but are about to end and they do not want to offer the same price of current promos, you can switch the account name, let's say your wife, gf, bf, husband it's a "Service Assumption" or just cancel and request under someone else name over the age of 18

Good to know. I'll tell my wife I need to get a gf so that I can get a discount on broadband :D

...some religions allow multiple wives which turns into multiple gf's = lots of comcast service at a good price.
I use to work for them (kind of) and there was this address in DC that I showed up every six months; 19.99 mo. each service plus premium install (all I had to do is give the equipment number to my dispatcher) College kids do the same in West Lake (DC) after the promo the room mate gets the bill and the promo applies. If I remember correct, you must be off their services for 90 days to be considered again for promos.

Have you checked out Astound http://astound.net . Might want to see what their prices are. Keep in mind though that they are not in the entire bay area. Personally after getting cable internet I would not want to go back to DSL. Cable is so much faster but 6Mbps is pretty fast. :)

Yeah, DSL typically doesn't hold a flame to Cable as far as speed, but personally my 3 Mbps for $30 blows the doors off any Comcast pricing (when you take into account the $33 is only an introductory price), and IMO it's fast enough.

Alameda used to have cable broadband through Alameda Power and Telecom.

The broadband/cable service was losing money and got bought out by Comcast early this year.

All the AP&T people got switched to Comcast. They screwed me up for about 3 days when they did the switchover.

I can tolerate a lot of things but don't screw up my internet access!

Astound looks a little pricey. $45/month for 6Mbps and $55/month for 10Mbps. Well, if you don't have cable tv service, which I don't.

Comcast right now is $38/month for 12Mbps for existing customers. Speedtest shows 13Mbps. And I was complaining about that, hehe.

...the Comcast monopoly, not good. Back when I was working for them, there was word about San Bruno opening to Comcast, in the peninsula I think is the only city they do not provide service.
Well, there's AT&T

Back