Neptune Aquatics

BTA Looking Worrisome

Hi All,

The heat wave hit my tank hard and things are luckily starting to recover, my BTA however is becoming worrisome. I snapped these pics today and wanted to know if anyone had feedback on what this might be/how to help it!

I care about this nem more than anything in my tank so hope I can get him back to top shape!

Attachments

• 7BBA1456-9BC3-471D-AEB7-035CA875A182.jpeg
    7BBA1456-9BC3-471D-AEB7-035CA875A182.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 219
  • AF287E40-3323-40AB-941E-5D4C627EE6EE.jpeg
    AF287E40-3323-40AB-941E-5D4C627EE6EE.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 217
Part of a hairy mushroom haha
Ok. If it's a yuma then ill need a whole new treatment plan...

But here's what i recommend...

Put the nem into a QT with light, heat and ideallu in a baskey or something where it won't get the choice of walking into a powerhead...and of course a powerhead but aim the PH indirectly at the nem. You want flow not assault.

Get some 250mg ciprofloxacin, also sold as fish flox. Neptune sells them now...otherwise online. Takes 3 days to arrive and runs a bit expensive.

Treat for 7 - 10 days at 250mg per 10G or quarter tablet in 2.5- 3G water. 100% WC faily and only dosing at night when lights are out (light breaks down drug)

After 7 days, if it looks better you can pull out, place in box in tank, and dose zoox. Get that from algagen. Dose every other day for first week, then once per week.

Treatment is relatively expensive but high probability of recovery.

Last edited:
That nem in my opinion has a very long road to recovery(if any) and in your evo I would be concerned with it kicking the bucket and taking the whole tank with it. Rehoming it is an option but in this state any added stress will probably be it’s end. The good news is it looks like a wild caught green bubble tip which I think are always hit or miss in our tanks and this could just be a thing you couldn’t do anything about.

Ok. If it's a yuma then ill need a whole new treatment plan...

But here's what i recommend...

Put the nem into a QT with light, heat and ideallu in a baskey or something where it won't get the choice of walking into a powerhead...and of course a powerhead but aim the PH indirectly at the nem. You want flow not assault.

Get some 250mg ciprofloxacin, also sold as fish flox. Neptune sells them now...otherwise online. Takes 3 days to arrive and runs a bit expensive.

Treat for 7 - 10 days at 250mg per 10G or quarter tablet in 2.5- 3G water. 100% WC faily and only dosing at night when lights are out (light breaks down drug)

After 7 days, if it looks better you can pull out, place in box in tank, and dose zoox. Get that from algagen. Dose every other day for first week, then once per week.

Treatment is relatively expensive but high probability of recovery.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, I really appreciate it! In the condition it is in right now I don’t even want to try and scrap it off the rock, as other have alluded to in this already I do agree that would be its end.

That nem in my opinion has a very long road to recovery(if any) and in your evo I would be concerned with it kicking the bucket and taking the whole tank with it. Rehoming it is an option but in this state any added stress will probably be it’s end. The good news is it looks like a wild caught green bubble tip which I think are always hit or miss in our tanks and this could just be a thing you couldn’t do anything about.
Ya we will see! Its on the move and is still currently eating so hopefully will find a happy spot to recover! Something interesting I’ve noticed is under any light it shrivels up and opens its mouth. When the lights go out it inflated a lot more as if it is fine. Thoughts?

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I really appreciate it! In the condition it is in right now I don’t even want to try and scrap it off the rock, as other have alluded to in this already I do agree that would be its end.
If rock is small enough, cipro the whole rock... I've done it.

Cipro is an antibiotic so will wipe most of your beneficial bacteria... whenyou add it back into your tank, pour in some extra bacteria soup like dr Tim's and youre good to go

If rock is small enough, cipro the whole rock... I've done it.

Cipro is an antibiotic so will wipe most of your beneficial bacteria... whenyou add it back into your tank, pour in some extra bacteria soup like dr Tim's and youre good to go
Just happens to be the largest rock in the whole tank... of course!

Back