got ethical husbandry?

BTA Severely Injured

Yesterday I got a BTA and it was doing great. Over night it moves up the rocks near my Korilla pump. A good portion of it got taken into it. Part of its foot and a good portion of its tentacles are chewed up. It is still alive and barely attached to a rock. Is there a chance it will survive at this point? Do they regenerate well and is there anything I can do to help it?

Mine never recovered, really I think it depends on if it is and can eat. if it's not able to eat it's basicly a loss

What up Erik. Umm yes actualy in a tank your size it could kill everything. Yes this happened to me in my old 20 gal with my favorite puple with white tips BTA. I kept it alive for about 1 month with basicly force feedings but then it crawed behind a rock and I couldn't feed it anymore.

If I was you I would get a small bowl and put it in there in your sand bed (this CAN keep them stuck, but doesn't always work) this way you can really tell if it's eating

For the next couple of days, just make sure it gets light and gentle flow. Some tentacles may still be intact. Once it's settled, use a turkey baster to squirt some mysis.

Now, if it looks like it's melting tomorrow, then it's too late.

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6050.msg77001#msg77001 date=1233008408]
Soo....is it still with us?

V

[/quote] No it died the next day. It sucks!! I need to figure out a way to cover the pump before I get another.

I've had one shredded as well.

In my tank at home, the pumps are high up on the glass sides and the anemones are on the rocks, they would have to travel down to the sand, then up the glass to get sucked in. Having a tentacle reach over and chopped off could happen, but the tentacle would just be sacraficed.

Luckily, some guy is breaking down his 225 tank and has FORTY RBTAs for sale. Not sure if it's here or on the RC boards.

V

[quote author=Zepplock link=topic=6050.msg77354#msg77354 date=1233181647]
My small RBTA lived in Koralia 1 pumb for a bout a month.
I think Koralia 1 free floating impeller is not strong enough to damage it.
[/quote][quote author=Apon link=topic=6050.msg77357#msg77357 date=1233183119]
I had one do that too, it didn't hurt it, but I turned the pump off and it left it.
[/quote]

Do they require really high water flow? Seems like many are attracted to it.

Well I think, and I'm saying this with a "...but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night..." mindset, they're looking for a happy flow spot they can park it and get all the food blown towards them. If they're wandering that much it might mean they really aren't happy anywhere in your tank. Unfortunately people get this mindset of a place they want their anemone to stay in a particular place and they really don't.

Granted I'm by no means an expert only having successfully kept my current anemone for 3-4 years, I've killed a few anemone in the past starting with the ugly brown bubble tips, green variants, even one of rose variants as well. My current ones, I guess I got lucky for the tank they were in that the big rock they were on had plenty of crevices and the flow was perfect for them that they didn't wander, and subsequent clones that split off stayed right on that rock (one new clone did wander but it eventually came right back to the rock). They got a good light source, the flow is there to bring food right by/through their tentacles and I get no wandering.

So its not so much they require a high flow, its that their food source (not light!) is brought to them via flow, and if they can't get what they feel is adequate they go searching for higher flow. More likely than use a foam cover on your powerheads you'd be better off pointing them in a different direction.

Don't most people just feed them silver side by hand? I'm guessing next time if you feed them by hand they will stay in the spot with the best currents and light since that seems to be what they always want to get. Also, I thought if they are getting sucked into a filter they would just split to save it's self. Do different colored BTAs require different lighting, water flow, and foods? I was thinking of getting most of the common different types of BTAs to put in my 34gal together. Would they sting each other?

Back