Neptune Aquatics

Bubble tip Anemone has gone into hiding

MikiCab

Supporting Member
I have a Bubble Tip Anemone that I have had for about 3 weeks and it was looking great. Every few days I would give is a piece of Silverside or Reef Roids and it was puffy and looking great and staying where I put it. Couple of days ago I woke up and I cannot find it to save my life. When it is puffed up it is about 4 inches across but when it deflates like when I got it is shrinks to about an inch diameter. I was hoping where ever it is hiding it would puff up but after 3 days still not seeing it. I was hoping it would come out of hiding on its own. Any suggestions on what to do next?
I have a small 10 gallon tank with a refugium and all the water parameters are looking good. I only have a few corals and a clean up crew of snails and hermit crabs. No fish yet. Tank has been set up for over 4 months and went through all the stages of high Nitrate, Algae two months ago and everything looks great with very little algae and a good copapod population.
Thank You in advance.

That is a very challenging setup for an anemone. Some species of bubble tips can get big enough to cover most of your tank without even splitting.

It could have gone into hiding to split if it's stressed or very happy. They can survive for a surprising amount of time with minimal light.

They can also die and melt overnight with very little evidence if it's a small one.

You will probably have to start overturning rocks to find it if you don't want to wait.

I'd also check any back chambers of the tank in addition to what @grizfyrfyter said. They can also get chopped up or stuck in circulation pumps so check them too.

I used to do the silverside feeding about 15 years ago but realized that it was usually too big of a piece of food for them to properly digest. I don't feed them anymore and they generally just catch whatever frozen food the other animals get and photosynthesize the rest of their energy.

1) I recommend never feeding silver sides to a small nem. I've seen too many disgorge their entire stomach when something is too big for them. You're overfeeding him anyway. If you want them to grow quickly (although your tanks very small for one) feeding once to twice a week is more than enough. They get all the "nutrition" they need from a good quality light, and while extra feeding does supply some fats, etc that are healthy it's not necessity.

2) This is not a hard and fast rule for a large tank, but in a small tank like yours I would never put a Nem in as early as you did. Yes -- I know that you went through the cycle, but no tank is really stable for at least six months, and most take a year. Small tanks are very rarely completely stable and that's the one thing Nems need the most (that and quality light.)

3) Once a nem goes deep into hiding it's usually the beginning of the end. It will probably soon start absorbing itself and die. That's not 100% but I would guess that's what's going to occur.

4) The water parameters fror Nems are less important than for some fish, but stability is key. What kind of lights are you using?

5) Remember a Nem is 95% water. One your sized can fit through a tiny slit in an overflow, etc. Check your pipes, etc.

I have an AI Blade Coral Grow Light. I pulled out all the rock today and I do not see it. I will check the back chambers next. Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I will keep you updated if I find anything

I have an AI Blade Coral Grow Light. I pulled out all the rock today and I do not see it. I will check the back chambers next. Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. I will keep you updated if I find anything
I don't know the lights and have never seen them used (since they're relatively new) but after doing a quick dive into comments about them is that they may not be strong enough to keep a Nem happy and healthy long-term. Borrow the group PAR meter and run some tests.

I don't know the lights and have never seen them used (since they're relatively new) but after doing a quick dive into comments about them is that they may not be strong enough to keep a Nem happy and healthy long-term. Borrow the group PAR meter and run some tests.
Another great reason to join the club as a supporting member!

How does borrowing the PAR meter work. I live in Pleasanton. Are there several located around the bay area? I have been thinking about joining.
Info on joining here and what equipment is available. https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/how-do-i-become-a-supporting-member.14130/

You basically can request it through BARcode and we have multiple units floating around the bay at various members houses. You'll need to wait two months after joining before you can borrow unless you get an exemption from the board (or someone in the club vouches for you).

Info on joining here and what equipment is available. https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/how-do-i-become-a-supporting-member.14130/

You basically can request it through BARcode and we have multiple units floating around the bay at various members houses. You'll need to wait two months after joining before you can borrow unless you get an exemption from the board (or someone in the club vouches for you).
Seems good. I have been thinking of joining. I will probably give it a try. I have a 3D printer and have designed a few things for my tank so would be interesting if anyone else is doing the same. I am working on a hang on overflow box right now. I designed a printed a AI Blade bracket and a heater mount so far.

I'm not sure what you paid for your bubble tip (they are often available for free from members,) but I can almost guarantee you the advice you are getting here and + the use of a Par meter alone would pay for your $30.00 on just that BUBBLE TIP PURCHASE.

Back