Jestersix

Can I do this -or no?

So, I have some fish I need to feed three times a day. Right now, they are eating frozen cyclops. I take a small chunk of cyclops, and put it in some sink water, and let it thaw. Right now I am going into the freezer three times a day to get a small portion of cyclops, and thawing each portion, and feeding it out.
It is a lot of back and forth for me; so I was wondering if it is possible for me to wake up in the morning, and just thaw out enough for a day or two and just leave it in the container with a lid on it in the refrigerator? This way I can just feed out whenever I want?
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!
So, as long as it stays in the fridge it is okay for a day or two right? Is it okay that it sits in water? Because I thaw the food in a container with just enough water to cover it. Obviously, I wouldn't do this with a naturally "mushy" food or anything, but for the most part cyclops, and brine shrimp are pretty "solid."

Do you thaw the cyclops directly in tap water? Or do you have it in a container sitting in tap water?

I would be worried if it is thawing directly in tap water because it may contain harmful chemicals, ie. Chlorine/chloramines. If you are feeding this to sea life, they will get the poisons too, not to mention the "fresh" non-salinated water which could damage them if they ingest it too. You wouldn't pour tap water into your tank, right? So I do hope you are not feeding tap water to your sealife either.

The other thing about frozen foods is that they degrade rapidly once it is thawed. I personally would not feed food to my corals or fish that has been thawed out for more than a few minutes. Think of it like eating frozen shrimp. I either cook the shrimp while it is still frozen, or cook it just barely thawed. If I let thawed frozen shrimp sit in the frig for a day or two, it is soggy and looses it's palatability. At this point, I would not serve this shrimp to any of my guests.

If you are thawing cyclops for corals or baby fish, do it in a bit of tank water first. It should only take a minute or two.

Just my 2 cents. Perhaps someone will chime in who has had experience with this?

I do just that when I thaw out frozen mysis, put a tad of tank water in a container, a bunch of frozen mysis, let it thaw, drain, rinse, drain rinse drain, then more tank water, with thawed mysis and when I need some I pull some out and feed... although a few times I left it out over night (or a couple nights in a row) man did it have a funk on it that made my skimmer cup smell good.

Back