Kessil

Can ph be too high

I dosed to raise my ph it was way low 7.9 and my math was a little off and I over dosed. Right now I am at 8.8 do I need to be concerned? Should I do a wc.

7.9 is not too low. Mine drop to 7.7 sometimes. A lot of time it drops to 7.9 at night. It goes up to 8.2 when the light kick in.

Yup little low but not too low.. pH usually drop when the weather is cold. It's because we keep the doors close most of the time. pH isn't something I pay too much attention to but that's just me.. Everyone has their own way keeping their tank :bigsmile: ..

Low PH means no calcification Phong, but your macros care not :lol:. Too high of PH and things melt, even algaes which is why massive algae growing facilities use a massive amount of CO2. Even though we have a huge power usage we also sequester carbon at the same time :)

Look at this guys "Tank of the month"
PH= 7.8-8.1
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-03/totm/index.php
Stability within normal parameters is best IMO.
7.9 is OK
8.8 is High

With what he has on that tank I have a hard time believing those PH numbers. Since I know the guy who built some of his equipment I'm gonna try to get him to test the PH, or confirm those numbers :)

My tank runs a regular pH range of 8.15 to 8.35 these days but I've kept tanks in the past with pH in the 7.9ish on the low side to 8.2ish on the high side range that did great for years. If my pinpoint monitors were reading right.. which I think they were most of the time.... 7.9 pH on the low side of my pH swing never hurt and didn't keep my tank from experiencing nice color and growth.

Back