Kessil

Cepex Ball Valve question

So, I am working on test fitting all my plumbing and i've noticed something peculiar about the Cepex true union ball valves (i have the 1" slip/slip versions) When fitting both schedule 80 and schedule 40 pipe into it, it is very loose, so loose it doesn't hold on test fit. Anyone else notice this? The only type of pipe that holds on test fit is spa-flex 1"pvc.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right. I used the threaded connectors but mine came with both. I just checked and my slip connectors are very tight around the pipe. I can't fully seat the pipe in the fitting unless i force it or glue it.

Does your pipe bottom out in the slip connection?

Maybe you have some weird outa spec pipe?? I suppose it could happen but have never experienced it. Got any other pipe from another source?

BTW this is just more evidence that plumbing projects always require more than one trip to the store. Anything less than three trips is considered a MAJOR victory! :)

That doesn't sound right. I used the threaded connectors but mine came with both. I just checked and my slip connectors are very tight around the pipe. I can't fully seat the pipe in the fitting unless i force it or glue it.

Maybe you have some weird outa spec pipe?? I suppose it could happen but have never experienced it. Got any other pipe from another source?

BTW this is just more evidence that plumbing projects always require more than one trip to the store. Anything less than three trips is considered a MAJOR victory! :)
The pipe does bottom out on both ends of this particular valve. However I have two more that I can try.

Oh, ever have any leaks or salt creep with using the threaded fittings? Do you use teflon tape or something else on the thread?

Teflon works great, don't be stingy with it neither apply too much; test fit before rolling the tape.
I never had any salt build up around threaded connections.

Salt creep is just another way of saying leak! :)

No problem with the threaded fittings. Since we are essentially doing no pressure plumbing, this is not hard.

I do about three wraps of t tape, finger tighten then no more that two turns with a wrench.

A great video of the process:

I haven't been able to find the paste they use. It's supposed to be better than t tape.

It's important not to over tighten. It can split the female fitting.

I'm going to have to disagree with xcaret on applying a lot of teflon tape. You should not apply a lot. You should apply about 4-6 revolution and no more. Applying too much is actually not a good thing as it makes it harder to screw it in further. You can usually go up to 10 revolution with larger pipes but I'm assuming you're using maybe 1" pipes.
Another important thing is to go 'clockwise'. The easiest way to think about it is to follow the threads. Starting about 1/4 revolution before where the threads start on the male thread. This is so that when the pipe is screwed in, it doesn't unwind the tape.

Repeating xcaret on don't be stingy. Teflon tape is cheap. If you don't like how the tape was wrapped on, remove it and start over.

Back