Cali Kid Corals

Closed Loop Pump recommendations

My 120g was supposed to be a dual corner over flow, but has only one corner overflow from previous owner, with the other corner used for drain for water changes, that is, 3/4" bulkhead capped off and 1" bulkhead on a drain valve. I wanted to convert this to a small closed loop, and wanted to know any recommendations. Doesn't have to be strong, just trying to get some water flow. The current 1" drain hose has the ball valve about 2 feet long, and I believe it is a detritus trap between water changes, so just thinking about getting constant flow to eliminate that problem, at the same time getting more circulation in the tank.

It would be 1" flex hose drain to 1" union ball valve to closed loop pump to 3/4" flex hose to 3/4" union ball valve to closed loop return to tank.

Use a DC pump with controller like waveline or copycat version Jaebo. It's energy efficient and you can adjust the flow with 5 different modes. You have 1" drain so the drain flow should be around 600-700 gph I believe.

Make sure not to get a pump w and inlet larger than 1". I'd recommend either the pumps mentioned above or the new ecotech dc pump if you wanna be fancy and have it super quiet

Internal or external pump?
Most of the new DC pumps are not rated for external.
Mostly for heat.
But also, they do not have tapered threads, so can leak if attached to standard plumbing.

Oh it would be external. Wave line no good now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am really not sure. Waveline seems better.

The Jebao specifically says internal only.
But the Waveline does say internal/external, and seems to have some cooling fins.
It still may leak with regular plumbing, but since you said tubing, that is not a big issue either.
The Jebao tubing connections have a rubber washer. Not sure on Waveline.

Back