Kessil

Coral ID - Duncan?

jonmedina

Supporting Member
Hey all! Bought this guy a little bit ago, the shop (Vallejo) said it's a Duncan. I don't think so, but I'm still brand new and don't know enough to say otherwise. Any thoughts?

IMG_7033.jpeg

IMG_7031.jpeg
IMG_7032.jpeg

It is not a Duncan. What shop did you go to? Seems strange to identify it as a Duncan as they look nothing alike.

Unfortunately I can’t identify it, specifically. Best guess is a leather or perhaps a mushroom is folded over itself strangely. I’m sure someone here can identify it.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help everyone! Polyps retract at night when it hunkers down into a little ball but other than that it's wide open during the day. It's real short and stubby. Gave it a little nudge and it didn't close up or tense like an anemone.

IMG_7038.jpeg
IMG_7037.jpeg

I vote Rhodactis indosinensis:

Green hairy mushroom. No skeleton, just sitting on a piece of rock (you can see its foot lifting a bit in your last photos).

Appreciate the help everyone! Polyps retract at night when it hunkers down into a little ball but other than that it's wide open during the day. It's real short and stubby. Gave it a little nudge and it didn't close up or tense like an anemone.

Yup, mushroom. Typically low light, and they usually lay flat on the rock, but it has a unique appearance and may want more light by the way it is trying to push itself high into the air.

Back