Kessil

DBTC: St. Patty's Day Psammacora

Ibn

Do ya feel lucky? This little fella sure is. Managed to survive the heat and bounced back to a fraggable size.

Here's what it looks like when I first got it.
Orange%20Eye%20Green%20Chalice.jpg

Back in January
green_chalice_011509.jpg

Switched bulb over to the 'saki 50kK and it isn't as vibrant as it used to be, but picked up the pink tips. You can see where the original frag is.
green_psammacora_030709.jpg

This sucker requires very little light; nursed it back on the side of the tank, where no direct light hits it. Gets a very bright green when done so (rivaled Ian's incrasssata). Under more lighting, it turns into the third picture. Oh, for those wondering, it's like an encrusting short tentacle plate. Sucker has orange mouths when I've seen them and this sucker can eat (1-2 PE mysis a week).

I'll be fragging two 3/4-1" piece of this.

Now to the good part.

Rules:
- current and active member of BAR or MARS
- you are willing to feed it regularly (sucker loves mysis)
- you agree to frag the coral to at least 2 other for free before trading etc.
- you can pick it up from me at a BAR meeting or in San Jose.
- you can post growth pics to this thread periodically.
...and lastly * if I was to lose the original colony, I get bumped up to the top of the list for DBTC.

Pick a number between 1-100.

PMC?

It's pretty adaptable. I've had it in the sump before w/70w of lighting from the side. I've had it hidden on the side of the tank where there's basically just ambient light. Currently it's sitting about 6" off center from the 150w of halides and gets another 48w from t5 supplementation.

Can't tell whether that's a psammocora or not, looks a lot more like some corals we've been playing with back in San Diego, dubbed 'hentai corals' ... the closest we've come to an ID on em is 'lithophyllon undulatum'

july30coral-16-tbn1.jpg

july30coral-2-tbn.jpg

The eyes/mouths aren't as defined as in L. undulatum.

The reason why I labeled it as such is due to the fact that Tyree had the same piece labeled as such in an auction.

Not that I'm aware of. It doesn't send out any stinging tentacles and when it has touched something in the past, it ends up losing. Wanna try a piece?

So Lyn this one looks to be not aggressive. Maybe someone with tank experience could confirm. I will, scouts honor, hand feed mysis. I'll choose the shamrock lucky number 4 leaf clover. Thanks Eric.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=6921.msg89729#msg89729 date=1237350814]
Not that I'm aware of. It doesn't send out any stinging tentacles and when it has touched something in the past, it ends up losing. Wanna try a piece?

[/quote]

Yes, Eric :D It sounds and looks interesting. I should pick a number... 8, for my daughter. :D

Is it considered an LPS? Aside from hand feeding, does it have any other special requirements other than moderate lighting?

[quote author=Crabby link=topic=6921.msg89763#msg89763 date=1237354344]
Cool looking coral! I choose 69....for my birth year of course.
[/quote]

Another man secure with his age! ;)

Nothing wrong with that. :D

Frags going to:
1) Crabby
2) Lyn

Pick up at my house in SJ. If you're gonna be at the next general meeting, I can send it along with someone (gonna be out of the state that weekend).

[quote author=Crabby link=topic=6921.msg90010#msg90010 date=1237408308]
Sweet - would like to get it at the April meeting if possible...
[/quote]

Ditto! :D Thanks Eric, I'll be at the meeting too. :D

Back