Kessil

Derek's 225g - 1 Year Birthday

Drove all the way to Sac to get the Kole I was looking for! Set him up in a dedicated tank that a friend loaned me. He’s still stressed and shy from from the trip:
IMG_1167.jpeg

Quick tank tour video. Everything going good. Some new SPS added - banked for an OG. The chunky little homewrecker frag I got from a local reefer is starting to take off too.

Last edited:
The clarkii has developed a habit of snuggling up in the “fold” created at the top of the haddoni. He just sits there motionless and peeps out.

Pretty adorable:

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

The clowns on the other end of the tank continue to spawn regularly. Here’s a vid of them tending to the eggs (female still laying some I think):

@BAYMAC the Kole came from a nice lady named Liz

Last edited:
Did a major rescape the other day. Pulled every single rock (caught out a couple fish in the process), moved the Mag to the center for more light and flow, and put everything back in. It was a big job but it was time. FTS:
IMG_1302 (1).jpg

I have also been experimenting with a Jebao SOW20 ($67!!!). The 2x XF350 gyres move a lot of water, but I've always missed the standing wave I had in my last tank and want to recreate it. The Jebao does this, even at a very low setting. Really blown away by this thing - it's the size of a softball and has an ugly/outdated controller but man it can move some water.

These standing waves are awesome because they essentially move every last bit of water in the entire tank. It's what a Tunze wavebox is designed to do but you can do it with any pump if you get the pulse frequency right for your tank length. Here's a video of the 1" wave I'm getting in a 6ft tank with just the Jebao on one end:

Last edited:
Looks good! and your water is always looking crystal clear.

Big fan of the wave and its dead-spot killing abilities. I use the wave box and absolutely love it. Blocked one of my return outlets to be able to utilize it. Glad I did.

Looks good! and your water is always looking crystal clear.

Big fan of the wave and its dead-spot killing abilities. I use the wave box and absolutely love it. Blocked one of my return outlets to be able to utilize it. Glad I did.
That acrylic clarity ;)

"Blue" light pic I took with the krakens last night before bed. Generally prefer whiter lighting but it's fun seeing the blue in the evenings too:
IMG_1406.jpg

I haven't made a lot of changes lately. No3 40-50, po4 .15-.25, Alk 8ish w/ ESV dosing. I don't test anything else but do send an occasional ICP which is always fairly normal.

The tank really seems to like the standing wave from the Jebao, but some of the LPS can't take all the additional flow so I've had to continue to tweak the aquascape. I don't have much LPS remaining though, and keep adding more and more sticks.

For lack of anything else to do, I may start experimenting with Allan Vo's "Concoction," if anyone has heard of this - he's been on a bunch of the reef podcasts lately. It's basically just a big mish-mash of bacteria, carbon source, food, trace, etc. I've never really fed my corals much, so might play around with that a little. Interested if anyone has experimented with it yet?

Even with my aseptic technique and an autoclave, I wouldn't do his prep method. It's just too easy to contaminate. The bacteria he's adding too are not ocean bacteria, they're land based. You're way better off culturing something like this with the same effort and won't potentially harbor pathogenic bacteria as easily if you contaminate the culture: https://topshelfaquatics.com/products/reef-genetics-live-red-phytoplankton-rhodomonas-salina
what is he doing?

Even with my aseptic technique and an autoclave, I wouldn't do his prep method. It's just too easy to contaminate. The bacteria he's adding too are not ocean bacteria, they're land based. You're way better off culturing something like this with the same effort and won't potentially harbor pathogenic bacteria as easily if you contaminate the culture: https://topshelfaquatics.com/products/reef-genetics-live-red-phytoplankton-rhodomonas-salina

This is my primary concern as well. Allan recommends sterilization, but I'm skeptical that one can really sterilize the process fully with so many ingredients and so much involved. A lot of well-known hobbyists are having some really repeatable results, though - which is pretty rare in this hobby. I listen to a ton of podcasts and consume a lot of reef content, and it's unusual for any "method" or "product" to have such consistent sentiment.

Still - I am hesitant. The tank is doing so well, and I am always reluctant to dump any crap in there. But I also have the inner change demon on the other shoulder telling me to try things. :)

Back