Neptune Aquatics

Dive trip to Cozumel

I was down in Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel for a bachelor party last week and it was a blast. This was my first "official" dive since I got certified back in January and I was blown away! The water and vis was exceptional compared to Monterey and there was so much life! Also saw a nurse shark and a sting ray on the first of our two dives. Everyone seems to say that seeing a shark is relatively rare so I feel very lucky! Aside from the shark and sting ray, my third favorite thing that I saw on the dive was a mat of bright white zoas/palys! They're included in the album and I couldn't help but think about how good they would look in my tank (don't worry...there was no transfer of coral across the mexican-us border!).

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my pics that I took with my crappy Canon SD600 point and shoot that I put in an underwater camera case that I bought on Amazon. The pics don't compare to all the other pros in this club but I'm still a noob! Hope you guys enjoy the first batch of pics and any advice on how to take better pictures would be welcome! I have a few more that I'll upload eventually if this Picasa thing works! Oh yeah, there are a couple videos of the nurse shark as well in this album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/durtsay/Cozumel?feat=directlink

EDIT: My first attempt at Picasa worked well so I added a few more pics to the album. Enjoy!

Damn Durwin, I'm jealous. That looks like so much fun!

I'm heading to the Riviera Maya area in May, I hear they have snorkeling and SCUBA but I'm not certified... :(

Great pictures Durwin! Really neat sponges down there. All I get in my tanks are the black, white, and lavender creeping kind. :(

I am glad you had a great time! :D

Bernie, thanks for the nice words. Yeah, I was surprised that my little point and shoot could produce semi-decent underwater shots. I learned that you get a lot more color close up and with the flash but that should have been obvious to me from the start. On our first dive, we went down to 80-90 feet. The second dive, we only went down to about 50 feet.

Jay, you should definitely get certified if you get the chance. I can refer you to the guy that I got ceritified through here in the bay area if you're ever interested. He's a retired firefighter that has an interesting sense of humor and can seem like a hard@ss at times. But he really makes sure you know what you're doing and prepares you to be able to dive on your own and without a divemaster.

Sherri, you and me both! Black and white sponges are all I have in my tank.

Back