Neptune Aquatics

Do you set up tanks outside of your house?

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey all, I’ve been considering setting up a quarantine tank in my back yard for new fish I’ll be buying.

I haven’t yet because I’m not sure if setting up a tank outside will be a great idea, but, it’ll be underneath a shaded area.

What do you all think about outdoor QT tanks?

Depends on what your weather is like where you are. Where I am it gets too cold in the winter and too hot in the Summer to be safe. For intermittent tanks like QT it might work in the Spring and Fall.

I say go for it... then when PG&E determines what "baseline quantities" are for this area based on the average electrical usage of similar homes I'll get to use a lot more electricity before getting charged so much! :D

(I kid, I kid, my usage for last month was negative 95 kWh)

I have tuff sheds without insulation
but my systems are large
temp fluctuates but seems to be working for the last 15 years
I’ve been to your house with the club some years back. Didn’t you have a tank in the backyard with African cichlids if I remember correctly?

Yeah it didn't go well, and direct sunlight is creating too much algae and nothing would live with outdoor temperature without a heater ( on the side note, gold fish survived and getting really fat in my freshwater outdoor tank )
I used to work at a spot around 6000 foot elevation. We had a 500g tank that the helicopters used to practice filling buckets of water. Anyhow, we had half a dozen goldfish that have been in there for years, even when the top foot of it is frozen.

I had a tank outside at a friends tank for almost 2 years in the banana belt of Santa Cruz. Corals, macro and fish thrived, as did the electric bill. We had a 55g tank with a 250g macro bin sump. We build a green house over it using conduit and 6mm clear plastic, We had a 3x 500w heaters in it.

Back