Jestersix

Dremel bit for Acrylic and Silicone

seminolecpa

Past President
I am trying to cut a few slats in my baffles for water flow.

Could someone point me in the right direct as to one I could by at say Home Depot to make this happen?

Also if I am using silicone inside of the tank I am guessing there is a certain type that is reef safe? Is there somewhere I can pick it up to use tomorrow?

Tankenstein thanks you in advance for your help.

LFS sell the all glass silicone but I know there are others you can get from HD.

For the slots, I'd recommend a router. I could let you borrow mine but it'll cost you :)

Hmmm I am afraid of what that might be. I can hook you up with something nice from my tank at a later date.

Does it need a special bit for boring through the plexi?

Just making sure I cover all bases so I am not running around later tomorrow.

Well you could get away with a dremmel but the bits are thin and slots are usually thicker. I should have the bit you need I have never used it on acrylic before but it's a standard knock off bit. What you do is clamp a guide rail on the bottom and then slide guide wheel on the knock off bit leaving you a perficly straight slot. I'll bring it show you. Here is another way to do it. I prefer my method though.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/teeth.html

I thought I had a link to the way I'm suggesting but can't find it. Oh and no, you don't owe me anything, I was just messing with you.

I have a dremel bit and a dremel router attachment you can use. I have used it in the past to make overflow teeth. I can't lend out a router due to work/business use.

Thanks Jeff for the offer. I think I may just use Levi's as he is going to the BOD meeting and I want to get this thing knocked out this weekend.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have been told that straight flutted drill bits cut plastic much cleaner.
Machining%5CViseDrillBit.jpg

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3261.msg36592#msg36592 date=1204911320]
I am trying to cut a few slats in my baffles for water flow.[/quote]

No tablesaw available, Bryan?

If you don't have a router, or tablesaw, you could even plunge cut a skilsaw through a piece of plywood and clamp it all up for quicky "tablesaw" setup.

I've done that before in a pinch.

Nope no tablesaw or router yet. They are on the list. I do have a skill saw.

Dudley, appreciate your offer, but I should be able to knock it out with Levi's router. The baffles are cut to size already I just need to put in the slots. Should be able to do it relatively quickly on Sat.

Eileen's idea and Norman's follow up probably will now make it so I wouldn't even need to use silicone at all.

how ever you do it to make your teeth too small, or else that router will rip them off quite easily. Also use a guide/jig because regardless of how steady your hand is once you hit the acrylic it'll jerk on ya.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3261.msg36647#msg36647 date=1204926049]
how ever you do it to make your teeth too small, or else that router will rip them off quite easily. Also use a guide/jig because regardless of how steady your hand is once you hit the acrylic it'll jerk on ya.[/quote]

Oh yeah, at least use a straight edge. A guide like mel uses wouldn't be a bad idea.

Back