Cali Kid Corals

Drilling my 40g Frag Tank

Hello.... wanted your thoughts, opinions, examples, photos etc. I am about to drill the back of my 40g Breeder. The primary requirements are that the overflow has to be "IN" the tank and the hole has to be on the back wall. I've got a couple of ideas of how to go about it but wanted to see if there were any examples and suggestions here on BAR. The circulation through this tank will be pretty slow (but high on flow) and I want the tank to be as quiet as the display. I planned on drilling a 1 3/4" hole for a 1" bulkhead. then doing an elbow flush off the bulkhead pointed up with a 1" to 1 1/4" adaptor to a 1 1/4" VERY short Dursa. Is this a good way to go about this? I'd appreciate your thoughts...

I did something similar with my frag tank. My overflow is also in the tank with the hole in the back wall. I did use a glassholes overflow and it came with a 90degree elbow with a tube in it and does not make any noise at all. You could probably just make this.

This is the page with pictures of it in my tank thread, just scroll down a bit:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3453.30

Aldie... that is pefect man. Thanks! I already have the glass hole saw, bulkhead, plumbing pieces and some extra acrylic laying around so I'll build myself one this evening I think. Thanks again for responding so quickly. I also will be running a T off of my MAG18 pump. Expect to have 500-700gph going through to this tank.

I just measured: 2" deep, 6 1/4" wide and 6" high and rated for maximum 600gph. It surprised me how big that 90degree elbow was when I received the overflow kit. It is a 1 1/2" elbow... I used a reducer to bring it down to 1 1/4 and the last part going under the stand reduced to 1" pipe.

Looking forward to see pictures of your progress with this.

Back