Cali Kid Corals

Eshopps skimmer – how good?

My system came with an Eshopps skimmer. How good are they? Should I consider changing to something else down the line? I do have high nitrates but I’m managing them with better food selection, WCs, and soon Bio Pellets. Would a different skimmer also help?

-Gregory

Depends on the size of the existing skimmer, Eshopps are not the best, especially the build quality, but they aren't exactly junk either.

tuberider said:
Depends on the size of the existing skimmer, Eshopps are not the best, especially the build quality, but they aren't exactly junk either.

The model in question is rated for a 75 to 100gal tank (actual vol is somewhere between 90 and 100 gal)

BTW- weren't you PMing me a with the instructions for using a pizza stone, a stainless bowl, and some dough? :)

-Gregory

+1 to what Jeremy said... I mean the basics of skimmers is a big tube where water mixed with air enters, then a reducer at the top to pull foam out. Little things like bubble plates, and pumps used amongst other things really are all that separate skimmers as far as mechanics.

I just left my eshopps Skimmer only because I plumbed both tanks.... I was running a. Psk-100 on my 120 n never had issues but I had been changing cup out every other day with thick green gunk.... ran the hang on back hsk 75 on my 55 n loved that skimmer

Back